• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is It Possible To Install Engine And Trans

dudem3

Is it possible to install engine and trans together at the same time from the top without banging the crap out of the paint, etc?

We only had a little bit of time this afternoon to make an attempt and couldn't get it.  If someone has done this, please pass along some tips on how to position the engine, etc. to get it in there.  Thanks.

if the hood is off and the car is several feet in the air you can do it by pointing the trans down almost vertically.  not recommended.  just take the trans off and install when engine is in the car.  it is just not that hard to do.

2xM3

I did it with 5-speed on engine, by myself, without a leveler.  I wasn't worried about banging the paint at all, though.  With 2 people and being extra careful, then I'm sure you could.  The engine/tranny needs to be at a fairly steep angle, and likely perfect.  A little too steep of an angle, and you'll be hitting stuff on the firewall/cowl side.  A little too shallow of an angle, and you'll be hitting it on the nose.

I'm sure a buddy could be watching those points though, and nudge it/protect it with some rags, or tell you to back out and angle it better.

If you want to be real careful about the paint, you might just drop the subframe and put it in from the bottom, like many on here have done.  I haven't done that myself, though.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Yeah, I'd like to be able to drop the sub frame and do it that way but i don't have a lift so I wouldn't be able to get the front end up and over to get it back together, unless it's light enough that a couple of guys could lift it up and over.

You can drop the subframe and just lift the engine with with a jack and the car with that engine hoist. Problem solved!

This is how I do it  :lol:

221992_1968680302880_8175538_n.jpg

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

I have a hoist, air tools, jacks etc and the easiest way to put the engine in is without the trans. Hood can stay on (you need 2 people to remove and install it, and time to re-align it once you put it back on). The engine can be lowered in from the side and just set on the mounts, then install the trans from below. Pulling the front crossmember is fine if you have the ability to lift the car off it, AND you want to remove it to Repair, replace, paint, install bushings etc. but if the car is going to be down while you rebuild the engine then the car is very hard to move unless you put it back in, then take it out again. Save yourself a ton of time and just put the engine in, then the trans. You will also do much less damage to the paint in the process. It costs less too, you can do it all by yourself and you won't spend as much on Beer for your 5 friends to come help line everything up while you install the engine, trans, crossmember and front suspension as one big lump.

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

We borrowed an adjustable balancing bar from a friend for our engine hoist.  We jacked the back of the car up to improve the angle and we were able to get the engine and trans in together no problem.  We go everything hooked back up today and took a short test drive and the junkyard trans seems to be ok, but won't know for sure until we can take it out longer tomorrow.  Thanks for the ideas and info.

• 2 weeks later...

yes, but as others have mentioned, you need a balance bar.  i had to do it with the shift platform off, and i wrapped a rag around the trans to i didnt bang up the tans tunnel.

edit:  oops, likes like you got it already, future reference for other i guess!

post-40202-0-69127600-1370922000_thumb.j

Edited by Zorac