• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Member And Question: 2002 And 320I Part Interchangeability

Hi bmw2002faq, my name is Mario and I'm from Ontario Canada

I have just purchased two cars a 76 2002 for $1800 and a 83 320i parts car for a few hundred bucks. 

The 2002 is a California car, it was brought to Michigan at some point and I bought it this past saturday, I am bringing it across the border in a few days as long as the title clears customs.  

The the paint is cooked, it was resprayed silver at some point (originally a light blue) but it is now faded and peeling, the floors look to be solid with a few rust spots on the body.  The rest of the car is all there and un-modified. Overall I wanted a solid shell to start with and I hope that is what I got.  

The 320i i couldn't pass up, it has a carbureted turbo M10 in it, it was a project that was never finished, i got the car with a couple of spare transmissions drive shafts and a spare diff.  I picked up the car yesterday and it is on my driveway now, the plan is to strip it of whatever parts i may be able to use and scrap the shell unless I find a buyer. 

My question is: What parts should i definitely keep from the 320i that i can use in the 2002? definitely the drivetrain...  would the brakes be an upgrade for the 2002? radiator? interior?

Thanks for listening, I'll post pics when I get a chance. 

Name: Mario M.

Car: 1976 BMW 2002

The turbo and manifold is especially useless- you should throw it into a box with my name and address on it,

then give it to Canada Post...

I swear by the E21 radiator, the front hubs are useful one way or the other, and you CAN use the calipers,

but there are better answers for no more money.

The driveshafts are useful only for cores to modify- they are different lengths on both pieces.

The rear trailing arms can be fitted- they give you better bearings.

The engine is also useful- especially if it was built to use the turbo. You could probably turbo the

2002 for just the hassle of a downpipe.

Sunvisors, sunvisor clips, rear- view mirror...  you'll start to recognise the parts you want.  Save 'em!

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Coupla more things to save....  windshield wiper relay--has the intermittent wipe feature--good spare for your '76; pushbutton dash switches to replace the dummy console switch on your '76 when you want to add accessory fog or driving lights. 

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thansk for the replies everyone!  I'll make sure to save these parts.

Also, this is probably in the search but do the seats from the 320 bolt up to the 2002? if anyone knows and has a second please reply.

Thansk for the replies everyone!  I'll make sure to save these parts.

Also, this is probably in the search but do the seats from the 320 bolt up to the 2002? if anyone knows and has a second please reply.

Yes they do. Just use the sliders from the 2002 seats and they bolt right on. I have the stock 320i seats, non recaro. The recaros work also. 

If you want to sell the turbo parts, I'll take them depending what they are. take some pictures!

1974 Grey European Market BMW 2002 

1976 Yellow BMW 2002 "GOLDENROD" SOLD

1972 Yellow Austin Mini 1000

A bunch of Bikes...

Hi Poktrokt,

I have the seats from a E30 318 in my 2002, if they is of any help.

Just to clarify, and this is a great question post you've started thanks,

is your parts car an E30 or an E21 ?

cheers

April '71 2002 LHD - hard won daily driver

Yup, it is an E21

Cool, the interior of the E21 is black and in good shape, I hoped it would fit.  The 2002's interior is blue, I might change it to black.

Hahaa, the motor in the E21 is driving this whole project, I bought it before the 2002, pictures coming soon.

I'm looking more and more at the braking system as an upgrade for the 2002.  

This motor should put somewhere in the area of 200hp so I will definitely need more braking power. I've done a bit of reading and I think I'm going to go with the volvo calipers and vented disks for the front, this car came with a spare front cradle complete with steering rack, struts, and hubs.

The rear is another issue.. I've read disk brakes from a vw work but have not found a how to thread.  I rather not pull the big drums off the E21 as I'd like to keep it mobile. 

Edited by POKTROKT

I just picked up a E21 front bumper that I swear was made for the 02, fits way better to the contour of the front end than the original. Tuck the bumpers in and it will look beautiful.

76 BMW 2002 Arktisblau M42 5 spd - Born 5.21.76 - daily money pit * 06 Aston Martin V8 Vantage 6 spd * 73 Mustang Convertible 351C * 11 Aston Martin Rapide V12 * 15 VW Touareg * 23 Audi e-tron SUV (wife's)

sig_banner.jpg.5aeae468aebf7c560d52fe62d249efbd.jpg

I like the look of that tucked E21 bumper, I’m definitely going to be doing that.  

One more question: is the steering rack interchangeable between E21 and 2002? Is it worthwhile keeping?