• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternator Bushing issues

Malagatii

After multiple dead battery events and replacing the battery and fan belt, it's been determined that my alternator bushings need to be replaced. I ordered bushings for both the upper and lower attachments, but when I removed the alternator today I noticed that there were no bushings on the upper mount. I also can't seem to find a diagram that shows these bushings, although I've heard that these are bushings pressed into the alternator itself. If this is the case, then the bushings I received are clearly not the correct ones. Can someone help me confirm this? Also are these bushings truly necessary? The pin/bolt on the upper mount that threads the bracket and the alternator housing is significantly smaller than the hole in the housing. with this one exception, it seems a bit over engineered to me, but what do I know.... I'm quite new to 02's so I'm a bit lost.

See photos

post-22379-13667670009018_thumb.jpg

post-22379-1366767001101_thumb.jpg

1974 2002 Malaga tii (Maggie): Work in progress, daily driver

Thanks. I hope you are right since this is my daily driver and I need it back in use quickly, but what I find troubling is that the pin/bolt that attaches it to the upper bracket is about half the diameter of the hole in the alternator that it uses to attach to that bracket. Just seems odd that there would be that much play in that join. Granted that once it is under pressure it would not move, but why not make them the same diameter if that's the way it is designed... Maybe I'm over thinking this.

your correct the skinny bolt in the fat hole is bad

show us more photos of the alternator - model

number tag - it maybe a transplant from another planet

Bushings prevent vibrations and keep bad things from

happening. What YEAR and MODEL motor / car is this ?

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

You have the correct bushings for the car, but it looks like not the correct alternator. These 4 cyl vibrators use flexible alternator mounts to avoid alternator bearing troubes.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Well that doesn't sound good I hope you both are wrong, but it doesn't look that way. If this is the case do I need to find try to find the correct one in the local auto parts store? What are the chances that they will have a right one?The car is a 74 tii that was manufactured in late 73. Here's some additional photos. The tag on the side is not in the best of shape.

post-247-13667670014936_thumb.jpg

post-247-13667670017162_thumb.jpg

Interesting that the alternator removed from your car does not have bushings. Suppose it is from another vehicle.

Here is my old tii alternator with crumbly urethane bushings.

oldcrumblybushings.jpg

bmwpics2017.jpg

bmwpics2016.jpg

Rebuilt unit on left, old one with urethane bushings on right

78A165CC.jpg

3BDAE9BA.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Tii alternators are a bit harder to find than others. I think I bought mine on-line from Eagle Day or something like that. They can crank up the juice on them too.

alternator2.jpg

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

What a great resource this forum is. Thanks for all the feedback. It's clear that I need to find the correct tii alternator now. Any good recommendations for quick delivery of a new/rebuilt one? I checked Eagle Day and the local auto stores that were open on a Sunday, to no avail.

Really would like to have my car back on the road early this week.

Bill's above alternator is indeed " stepped-up " amp output

you can tell an alternators output by the width of

the RED BAND . Jim's original shows a narrower band

as an original lower amp output unit

2002tii alternator original spec:

K 1/14V 45A 22 (630 Watt)

(K 1/14volt 45amp)

the BOSCH catalog part number for 2002tii

alternator is : 0 120 400 795 (ref. 1973 BOSCH CATALOG)

the number needs cross ref to latest number - google it.....

wait ..... more coming . .

original BMW part number for 2002tii, Rmfd. 45 Amp, 1/1970 to 10/1975

12.31.1.345.152 = (NLA)

new part number 12.31.1.354.134 = not in system

still looking. . . . . . . .

exchange: DRA 0240

4123116515s.JPG

and to Mr. bpBates - if yer confused don't be,

BMW parts numbers ARE different than BOSCH

numbers system.

example of BMW part number: 12.31.1.345.152

example of BOSCH pt number: 0 120 400 795

Welcome GERMAN car world

Mr, Williams , Please tell the class where you

got your alternator?, the part/exchange numbers?,

price?, AMP and WATT output if you could please?

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

I had a bushing-less alternator on my '76 non-tii. I think it came from an E12. Worked great.

I have not had to fiddle with the one on the tii (knock wood!).

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Hi--

The late Curt Ingram said an AL41x will fit a tii with a few modifications (see post from Topica/BayArea-02).

I have a TEP alternator from my late '73 (not tii) that worked well for a while with a nice higher output (they said it came from a VW; it was rebuilt with a small case mod to fit a 2002). But the solid mounts are a bit worn and I replaced it (with a 320i internal regulator unit) instead of finding a way to prevent the accumulated mount wobble. I would be happy to sell it cheap to someone who needs a good alternator and can cobble an appropriate mount shim.

Tii Alternator Higher Charge Retrofit.doc

Larry Ayers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

’73 Malaga— first car, now gone

'74tii Malaga

Thank you all for your help.

Good news: I found the correct rebuilt Bosch alternator from Viking auto in Novato (local to me) for a reasonable price. Brian there is great guy and real helpful.

Bad news: When I put the battery back in after putting everything else back together exactly the same way they were before, the wires around the voltage regulator started to smoke. So I disconcerted the battery and am at a total loss.

I give up... My first real mechanical repair project in 25 years just took a turn for the worse. Having it towed to the mechanic today.

You now need to have a dedicated ground from the alternator case to the engine block. Where as before the rubber less mount took care of that issue. The smoking wires are the search for a ground through the hot wire.