• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Brother found an 02

Guest Anonymous

for $300 it is a keeper. worst case there is way more than that in usable parts there. best case it may be a couple hundred for a used engine, a few grand for interior bits and rehab on every suspension and brake system part and you have a driver.

So you think there is slim to no chance of getting this engine running again?

that many years sitting....and it had to have been parked for a reason. i have seen to0 many "ran when parked" cars whose engines were completely frozen.

assume it is toast, be surprized if by some miracle it is not...

2xM3

Guest Anonymous

I alluded in my first post to the owner letting it sit cause he didn't have money. I'll be more specific and say that the owner happened to have twins with cerebral palsy. So I think he is sincere in saying it ran before it was parked.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

When you go there, take a wrench to try and turn the engine over. (I think it's a 22 or 24 mm I can't remember.) Alternatively, if you can get it dug out and rolling, put in 2nd gear and see if you can get the engine to budge. If it moves, you have a good chance that the engine can run without excessive expenses. If it's frozen solid, you most likely need a replacement motor or a rebuild.

To buy or not to buy depends on your resources, skills, space, time and what your ultimate goal is. But the best resource is the collective knowledge on this board and potential access to 2002 parts stashed in our garages.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

Guest Anonymous

I alluded in my first post to the owner letting it sit cause he didn't have money. I'll be more specific and say that the owner happened to have twins with cerebral palsy. So I think he is sincere in saying it ran before it was parked.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Sounds very similiar to my wife's '76. Sat in a girl's parents front yard here in southern Arizona for 11 years after she went off to college in New York City and had nowhere to park a car. They then sold it to a junk yard here in Nogales where the owner of the yard's brother was going to restore it - but never did. It sat there for 5 more years.

When we bought it for $600 15 year ago it had been sitting in the So. AZ sun, undriven, for 16 years. Engine started and ran extremely well after changing the oil, filters, cleaning the gas tank (it looked as immaculate as a hospital operating room when I looked inside).

Other than routine maintenance, we've done nothing to the engine except add a tii exhaust manifold and Weber 32/36. Runs very strong and smooth and now has 126K miles on the clock.

Check the picture of my wife's Pastellblau daily-driver '76 for which we recently turned down an offer of $12,000 cash.

This car can absolutely be saved.

Bob Napier

post--1-13667669578014_thumb.jpg

PLEASE DON'T PAINT IT.....that patina looks sweet. If you have the abilities and time to do the work yourself then this is a great deal and for sure you can have it running for 2 grand. However, interiors can get $$$ and that one looks pretty crispy.

I totally agree, that's some serious patina there. F-Bomb now has a companion car. The interior of my E3 2800 looked a lot like that but not quite that bad and I also bought mine for $300. It's amazing how many replies you will receive when you post what you are looking for on the WTB section of this forum. If you buy this car, start a project blog on this forum of your progress of bringing this car back to life.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

First off, hi. My name is Eric and just recently started working on cars. I love the look of old foreign cars and I'm not really into the old domestics, Novas and Camaros aside. I'm looking for a 2002 just to drive and appreciate. Slowly restoring it.

My brother knows I'm into cars and this person he works for has a 76 2002. The car has been sitting close to 13 years however and the paint is absolutely destroyed, the dash looks like a geographic formation, and the interior is full of junk and hasn't weathered well either.

The current owner did some work on it when it was still running, but due to some crazy financial obligations had to abandon it. It has Bilstein shocks, strut bars, Weber carb, and he said he added AC.

When I went to check it out, he couldn't find the keys. So I was unable to check under the hood, or in the trunk. There is no sign of rust eating away the under-body or fender wells. There is just a small amount of surface rust. It is an Arizona car.

So, I offered $300 and it was accepted, but won't agree until I can see the engine.

I'm going to estimate it costing me about $2,000 to get it running, but what is the best possible scenario with the engine sitting for about 13 years? I assume the worst is that the engine will need a rebuild.

Definitely worth the $300. I bought a 1973 2002 rough non-running project in November, trailered it home.... and here is what I did yesterday:

http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/2013/02/1973-2002-first-drive-2242013_24.html

What a great feeling!

Here is the rest of the story, so far.... long way to go, but I am having a ball!

http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/p/1973-2002-project-journal.html

Do it!

And keep us posted! Tons of help here.

Tom

Connecticut

Home for Feral BMWs

1973 2002 Malaga (with frosting), 1982 323i Baur

1991 325ix (winter), 1977 320i (carbed), 1989 325ix

1989 325iC (summer), 1979 323i (project), 1978 320i (parts)

http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/

triple post with pictures....

go a little easier on the submit button...

Mea culpa. I am not sure how that happens. It seems to freeze up on submission, and I get a gateway 504 error stating it didnt go through. If I then clear that, it turns out that it DID go through. More than once, apparently.

My apologies. I would have corrected it sooner but I didnt see it until now, since I have been in a meeting.

Tom

Connecticut

Home for Feral BMWs

1973 2002 Malaga (with frosting), 1982 323i Baur

1991 325ix (winter), 1977 320i (carbed), 1989 325ix

1989 325iC (summer), 1979 323i (project), 1978 320i (parts)

http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/