• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I wish Esty was my neighbor!

Koblenz

Some us can install carpet (the hump) as easily as making toast. Yet there are those of us that make Forrest Gump look like an engineer.

I have ac with two hoses in the tranny tunnel so that may be part of my challenge. The carpet is good quality so I have that to run with. I did use jute. The accelerator pedal arm gets catch in the carpet so I'm thinking of extra dynamat in that area and no jute.

For now I am going to take a break from it and catch up on my other projects.

jute under and around the pedals will cause quite a bit of bulk as you're discovering....i never use anything thicker than stuff like fat mat or other similar products

also if you'll let the carpet warm up it will get very pliable and easier to shape over the tunnel...you'll have to figure out the best approach for the a/c plumbing

some do make it look very easy...the trick is just having patience

1.jpg

2.jpg

and having me for a neighbor would only frustrate you...i would constantly be borrowing stuff...sugar, butter...3m spray adhesive, oil...i live in seclusion to save others from me

LOL! Hello Esty.

You can borrow. I actually have fresh POR 15

You hit it on the head. " ...the trick is just having patience "

Yeah, some of the jute has to come out. The carpet really does look good. The ac is a little pain in the ass. I made some cuts that I need to fix. Do I use a carpet tape or duct tape.

This site is a great help http://carpet-install.blogspot.com/

• 7 years later...

Chalk up another successful carpet installation to one of Esty’s great carpet sets.  #405 is a great match for Fjord Metallic and a blue interior. 

26E3427F-3CDB-4A33-91B5-D25D9BEC2939.jpeg

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

The first 2 photos Etsy posted are of my old 72 I sent to her several years ago. It wasn’t easy getting the carpet to form around the tunnel. My secret was 3M spray adhesive working small areas at a time with a whole bunch of thumb tact’s to pin the carpet to the tunnel board until the glue dried. 

3 minutes ago, 72pdx02 said:

The first 2 photos Etsy posted are of my old 72 I sent to her several years ago. It wasn’t easy getting the carpet to form around the tunnel. My secret was 3M spray adhesive working small areas at a time with a whole bunch of thumb tact’s to pin the carpet to the tunnel board until the glue dried. 

I welded a round shift boot ring to the tunnel also for a early look. I never really liked a long console. 

Looks very nice, and no doubt easier.  But we simply heeded your admonition above — patience above all.  And as another poster recommended, did it in stages from back to front.  We stopped occasionally to regroup and plan next steps, especially the radial cuts around the edges that enable you to keep flattening as you move.  Good German carpet shears made quick work of each cut.  We did this in 4 indistinct sections, feeling our way along the tunnel and always pressing forward and down the sides as we laid the rug.  Four hands are better than two, and push tools and chamfered wood blocks also good for pressing and tucking.  Used 3M 8090 “Industrial” adhesive, and recommend it.  

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

• 11 months later...
On 1/24/2020 at 7:27 PM, 0257 said:

Chalk up another successful carpet installation to one of Esty’s great carpet sets.  #405 is a great match for Fjord Metallic and a blue interior. 

26E3427F-3CDB-4A33-91B5-D25D9BEC2939.jpeg

@0257 - Do you have any additional photos of your interior with Esty's 405 carpet installed, and could you share/post them? I'm trying to decide between the 405 and 1c for my car with marine blue interior. Thanks in advance!

MattL

1976 BMW 2002 Pastellblau

Philadelphia 'Burbs

11 minutes ago, MattL said:

@0257 - Do you have any additional photos of your interior with Esty's 405 carpet installed, and could you share/post them? I'm trying to decide between the 405 and 1c for my car with marine blue interior. Thanks in advance!

Matt,

I notice you live in NJ. I installed my carpeting about this same time of year and I live just north of NYC. I struggled with getting it to fit but eventually got it in. If I had it to do over again, I'd wait until late Spring or early Summer when I could lay the carpet out in the sun to get it nice and hot. When it's pliable it's MUCH easier to work with. FYI!!!

Nick

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

2 minutes ago, NYNick said:

Matt,

I notice you live in NJ. I installed my carpeting about this same time of year and I live just north of NYC. I struggled with getting it to fit but eventually got it in. If I had it to do over again, I'd wait until late Spring or early Summer when I could lay the carpet out in the sun to get it nice and hot. When it's pliable it's MUCH easier to work with. FYI!!!

Nick

Thanks, @NYNick. Will do. I've got a ceiling-mounted infrared heater out in the garage, to warm me up like a bunch of fries while I'm poking at things I don't understand in the engine bay. Not enough candlepower to heat up much in the way of square footage, though. 

MattL

1976 BMW 2002 Pastellblau

Philadelphia 'Burbs