• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Low Battery Charge Dash Light

willie002

I have a 1974 - 2002 and at night when the head lights are on I get a low red glow from the Low Barrery Charge Dash Light. This is the only time it's visable. I don't seem to have any charging problems that I've picked up on, the battery is always charged and the car starts right up, even after sitting for several days and in the cold. I'm wondering if I should jump in here and start trying to find a problem or could it just be a back ground dash light problem.

I've survived damn near everything.

1974 - 2002, Mild - sold to son
1976 - 2002, lil' Wild

Try checking the wires on the back of your alternator. Easily damaged when oil filter is being changed. Dirty, damaged, or loose wire will cause resistance and your alternator light to glow.

My ground wire was hanging on by a strand for years. I always thought it was my alternator dieing.

Good luck.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

the bottom of the votage regulator. The Alternator plug is supposed to be held in place with a wire bail which is often missing, thus allowing the plug to loosen and eventually fall out.

Also, check the brown ground wire for both your headlights--trace back to the grounding point and make sure it's clean and bright.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

The light never changes. The alternator is good but I think as you've pointed out I need to check the ground wire. I will check the other issues mentioned also today and will post results. Thanks

1976 - 2002, lil' Wild

If it's a dim glow, that's not particularly unusual.

One thing that hasn't been explicitly mentioned (in this thread, he says, cattily)

is that there's supposed

to be a ground from one stud on the alternator case to the

block. It tends to get brittle, then the strands in it start to fail inside

the crimp. So if you still have it, it's almost worth replacing. Or at

least REALLY tugging on, and cleaning up, to make sure it's in good shape.

The other places to look are the battery terminals themselves, both where

they grab the posts and where they hit the block and starter, (again, they

sometimes fail inside the crimps) and the block- to- body jumper.

If you're cranking healthily, that's probably not it, but it IS worth

preventatively cleaning and checking those points. I had the bracket on

the back of the starter loosen once- every so often, I'd get the charge light,

and it drove me nuts for weeks...

hth

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Yes, the glow is pretty dim and steady. I'm wondering a little if it isn't from one of the gauge lights. I only see it when it's dark and I have the head lights on. If I turn the lights off the glow disappears. I did look at my alternator ground wire and it does need to be replace and I'll get that done this afternoon. It's pretty stiff and the insulation is hard and cracked.

1976 - 2002, lil' Wild

Guest Anonymous

+1 for also checking the blue wire in the plug on the back of the altrnator (at least it is the loose blue one on earlier 2002s that causes the dim glow).

The battery is just a month old and was tested at installation. I've assumed that everything is ok with it but assuming is dangerous business. I'll check it out and post the results tomorrow night. Thanks for the suggestion!

1976 - 2002, lil' Wild