• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My car has 4 wheel steering??

nbristow01

I have a symptom that has gotten worse and must be addressed. When I go into a right hand or left hand curve doing maybe 60 or so..once the weight of the car transfers over the back end wants to put me into an oversteer as it seems to jerk into position. After that initial oversteering jerk it is fine intil I go into another corner. SO obvious I have movement in the rear. The subframe bushings and control arm bushings are very old. I have new subframe bushings I will install tomorrow. When the car is sitting on the ground I can grab the rear tire at 3 and 9 oclock and pull on one side and push on the other. I can see about a 1/4 inch of flex in the subframe bushing when I do this. Rubber in the bushing is old and seperated. Also control arm bushings are worn. I will be ordering poly ones tomorrow.

So my basic question is that rear end movement I am feeling....is that from worn control arm bushings or word subframe bushings?

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

Mine was subframe bushings. You felt it a lot after redoing all the front bushings but not doing the rears...

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

...and if you can move it 1/4in by hand, it's probably moving a lot more than that in a corner.

You might as well replace all of the bushings back there while you're at it. It's a little time consuming the first time you do it because you need to remove the rear brake lines, but it's not too difficult. Chances are if the subframe ones are gone, the other probably are too.

Jason

'73 2002tii Fjord

'02 M3 Convertible Jet Back/ Imola

when the rear toe adjuster got whacked loose on the racecar,

I had those symptoms.

Unnerving, isn't it?

t

yes in fact yesterday I was in a Toys for Tots drive. Ken was ahead of me in his S14 powered 02. So we were moving at a really good clip. As we were making a curve that back end shifted and gave that jerk that adds oversteer. So it pushed me back towards the center stripe right when a truck was coming. Scared the crapppolahh out of me!!!!

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

Two things-

If you haven't driven a car with poly bushings, you should before you commit to going that way. I bought redone front and rear subframes with all poly and find them pretty harsh. Would probably go back to rubber if I live long enough for them to need to be changed again.

I had similar shifting in the rear and it turned out to be the half shafts sliding in and out of the diff an inch or so. Tires wore very unevenly as well as a result.

'71 02 - parts car with not many parts left

'73 02 - weekend toy and money pit

'74 04 - sold in '91

'03 325iT - for trips and bad weather

'03 50cc Honda Scooter - for my 2 mile commute

'06 50cc Honda scooter - wife's commuter

Two things-

If you haven't driven a car with poly bushings, you should before you commit to going that way. I bought redone front and rear subframes with all poly and find them pretty harsh. Would probably go back to rubber if I live long enough for them to need to be changed again.

I had similar shifting in the rear and it turned out to be the half shafts sliding in and out of the diff an inch or so. Tires wore very unevenly as well as a result.

My diff bushings look like total crap. That thing is wiggling around. I have new rubber ones I may install tomorrow as well

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

Yes the rear can become unruly steering you to a fix on those bushings, also a full inspection may reveal other contributors perhaps. A nut and bolt check is always part of inspection. Just my zero 2 cents.

I jacked the back of the car up tonight under the diff. Put jack stands under the body at the rear jack points. When I let off the jack the diff dropped a good 3/4 inches. So I crawl under and slowly lift the diff with the jack. Those diff bushings have completely seperated from the steel shells. a good 3/4 inch give in then when I jack the diff up and let it down....The subframe bushings appeared to be solid and had almost no movement in them. The control arm bushings looked worse for wear but not as bad as some I have seen........could those diff mount bushings be my culprit?

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle