• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spedo needle breakage

stevetx2002

I've had 2 spedo needles break off in the past year. Before I replace another speedo, I was wondering if there could be any other cause other than old, brittle parts. The needle would start spining a full 360 then break off from hitting the peg. Any ideas?

1972 2002, 292 Cam, Single 45 DCOE

I've repaired them by splinting on the back side with a thin wood strip (cut down toothpick) epoxied in place.

But that's not the problem. If your speedo needle suddenly goes wild and starts oscillating all the way around the scale and then back, it's a problem with the eddy current magnets inside the speedo. It's not a difficult repair, just takes a little time and patience.

I did a column on how to fix this; drop me an e-mail and I'll send you a copy.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I've never heard about this before, I had something similar happen with my E21 when we ran it real hard and it went of the scale. After that it was all wobbly but took it out and passed the needle over the pin where it rest and that did it. I've never seen a needle breaking or falling off without human interference.

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978

If the gauge is jumping around it is usually the speedo cable trying to bind, it sticks and then snaps ahead. Disconnect it at both ends and try to turn the cable with your fingers, if you can't or you feel it does not run smooth that is most likely your problem.

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

Does any one know of a shop that can fix the speedometer itself?

Mine doesnt start working untill 60 mph and the needle bounces.

I did a search and found the threads on how to fix the odometer. but not the speedo itself. Is fixing the MPH portion a DYI job or is special equipment needed?

69 Baur 1600

71 Euro 02

75 02 w/ box flares

72 E3 73 E9

85 Baur 323 E30

99 Z3 coupe track car

08 Z4 coupe DD