• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Depressing

deasonbrown

New owner of 1972 2002.

Bought off of ebay for 2,660$. Got it so my son and I could mess around with it. Not in perfect shape but not too bad either.

Ended up being a great civics lesson instead. One hour wait at RMV, 653$ sales tax due. Must be a mistake. No, NADA values your car, holes and all at 10,150$. Welcome back to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Coming soon to a state near you.

Also if your thinking of selling your 2002, its a great time. You'll get 10,150$!

Even if its "A pile of parts" (Dept of Revenue guys quote to me today).

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

in PA they try the same junk.

but they have a form that the people at DMV

don't know or tell you about where you can

attach photos and an explanation of the reason

that the car only cost what you paid for

it. so go to your state dmv and get the form

and send it in. explain every little detail

of what needs to be fixed with the estimated

cost of each job with a total that will clearly

be more than their estimated high value.

good luck

stone, in the commonwealth of Pennsylvania

stone racing co

phila pa 19123

yowza- i had the opposite experience registering my car in at the dmv in san francisco. the guy didn't even ask to see the bill of sale- and i wasn't quick enough of my toes to say anything but the honest truth... so i paid %9 or whatever sales tax was then.

You may be able to appeal the decision of some brainless twit to a higher power and get a partial refund. Start with a Google search. I know here in WA they follow the NADA, but there is a range of values, depending on condition, not a singular value for the model year.

I always do it right the second time.

1970 2002 Chamonix (Fiona)

1976 2002 Chamonix (Blanche), '73 2002 Colorado (Nemo), '72 2002 Riviera, '74 2002 Atlantik, '71 1600 Sahara (Binkley) all sold

Same here in NC, Durham City valued my 73 at 24K for about 300 bucks tax a year, had to fight to reduce it to $139, still way too much. Now, they taxed one of my 74 tii at $100/year, total bs but what can you do? Other 74 tii is still taxed at $38, not sure when they are going to jack it up, probably soon. They are doing it to all old cars. Durham County is run by fascist republican and greedy assholes, so I am not surprised at all.

Sorry to hear this. I did a lot of research on this very topic when I was on the hunt for my 02 this past year in the northeast.

As stated by nfinsness "The trick is to get a licensed dealer to sell it to you...whatever it takes. Then you are taxed on the actual sales price."

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,0/page,viewtopic/t,319989/start,0/postdays,0/postorder,asc/highlight,/

Deason, You may want to look into this to confirm there wasn't a screwup. Unless something changed recently, I don't remember shelling out that kind of cash when i bought my '74 back in 2010.... You know the RMV here in this fine commonwealth is capable of anything (stupid).... Good Luck.

BTW, look us (Nor'Easters) up when the Spring rolls around. We have a few meet-ups during the year. If you are in Eastern Mass, you might want to check out the Lawn Events at the Larz Anderson Museum of Transportation (German Car Day and BMW Car Day).....

http://bmw2002.us/

http://larzanderson.org/events/lawn-events/lawn-event-list/

- Chris

- The big print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Always have a bill of sale! Even if you have to make one up!

No state can disregard a bill of sale between commerical or private parties.

You're taxed on actual negotiated price. Not what a piece of property may be worth in a given market. This refers to one-time sales tax of course. Property tax is of course a rate based on assessment.

I would look into what your were told at DMV. You shouldn't have registered the vehicle when that rate was given. Tell them you'll go home and get the bill of sale you "forgot to bring".

Nuova Strada

www.nuovastrada.com