• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to confirm transmission failure?

samsue2002

I am a newbie to cars so please excuse my ignorance and lack of proper car terms. I bought a 1976 BMW 2002 as a Daddy/Daughter project, then moved to college so Daddy isn't so close to help me with car problems anymore.

I was driving along the interstate when I heard a crashing/ grinding sound (coming from the direction of the transmission). It sounded like I ran over something or something inside my car was falling apart. I pulled over immediately and was able to restart the engine but it sounded a bit hollow. Dad advised me to get it towed back to my house in case it was an engine or transmission problem.

The gears have been grinding a bit and were slipping that day. I thought it had something to do with me not driving it all Thanksgiving break. Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot/ confirm it was the transmission or figure out what is wrong? Any advice or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

If you start the car in neutral then the gears part of the transmission is not active.

Is this when it makes the hollow sound?

So if its making noise it could be engine, clutch or input shaft of the transmission.

I would check the transmission fluid and see if its low. If it has not fluid then you could of damaged your trans.

You also mention the clutch slipping. So you would give it gas while in gear and the engine would rev but the car would be slow to move?

If so your clutch could of fallen apart in the bellhousing..- front part of trans.

If you push in the clutch does the sound change?

Its hard to diagnose without having the car on the lift to see if there is anything loose or leaking..

69 Baur 1600

71 Euro 02

75 02 w/ box flares

72 E3 73 E9

85 Baur 323 E30

99 Z3 coupe track car

08 Z4 coupe DD

"I was driving along the interstate when I heard a crashing/ grinding sound (coming from the direction of the transmission). It sounded like I ran over something or something inside my car was falling apart."

that sounds a lot like a guibo failure.

but as was said, really need to get the car up on a lift to look at what is going on. could be a lot of things.

2xM3

K . I . S . S .

flash light

blanket on ground under trans/driver door

lay on blanket

turn on FLASHLIGHT

look up at the rear of the transmission where you see the long

drive shaft attached

there is a rubber donut with 6 or 8 bolts at that point

if the rubber is blown apart that is your problem

if that rubber donut looks intact with even rubber between

each of the bolts then your clutch came apart

and you wont be able to see anything broken

for a blown-up clutch you need to remove the transmission before

any estimate can be made

good luck

p.s.

this is a blowd up rubber donut - not that bad to repair

IMG_1725.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Maybe a center bearing support if not the guibo?

I always do it right the second time.

1970 2002 Chamonix (Fiona)

1976 2002 Chamonix (Blanche), '73 2002 Colorado (Nemo), '72 2002 Riviera, '74 2002 Atlantik, '71 1600 Sahara (Binkley) all sold

I am a newbie to cars so please excuse my ignorance and lack of proper car terms. I bought a 1976 BMW 2002 as a Daddy/Daughter project, then moved to college so Daddy isn't so close to help me with car problems anymore.

I was driving along the interstate when I heard a crashing/ grinding sound (coming from the direction of the transmission). It sounded like I ran over something or something inside my car was falling apart. I pulled over immediately and was able to restart the engine but it sounded a bit hollow. Dad advised me to get it towed back to my house in case it was an engine or transmission problem.

The gears have been grinding a bit and were slipping that day. I thought it had something to do with me not driving it all Thanksgiving break. Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot/ confirm it was the transmission or figure out what is wrong? Any advice or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

I deduce from the slipping gears part that the car is an Automatic, correct?

I still agree with everyone the first place you should look is the guibo.

I might sound stupid because of this, but it would help to know if the car is automatic or manual. Always thoroughly describe the car when asking a question.

1974 Malaga 2002 4282899 "Little Red"

1976 Polaris 2002 2374061 "Rusty Shackleford" 

1998 Dk. Blue Volvo S70 T5 "Carlene"- 221k Miles 

o k samsuetwodouble-O-two -

the way this game is played is

5 people give their time to diagnose

and fix your car long distance

for FREE - then yer sopposed

to reply with your findings by taking

30 seconds to LOOK at the car

and give us a little in return.

Your Turn To Move.

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Sorry guys- I wasn't expecting so many replies so soon! Many thanks! I apologize for not giving enough information. Like I said before, I'm a college student. Finals are next week so I'm at that point in the semester where I get no sleep, forget to eat and am gone from the house all day (and my little car.)

So to clarify- My 2002 is a standard- 4 speed to be exact. (I'm praying it's a trans issue so I have an excuse to change it to a 5 speed for better mileage.) I bought it in 2010 from a guy who knew nothing about BMWs. He got it from his neighbor who was making it into a race car (Billstein shocks, Eibach springs, no interior or back seat to make way for a roll cage which was never put in) and Dad and I have yet to discover everything my little treasure box of a car holds. It sat in storage for a few years before I bought it. We rebuilt the carburetor, and replaced some things (tires, seatbelts) for safety.

I was unable to start the car this morning (I'm north of Houston, TX and it's always harder to start it when it's cold in the morning.) I was able to run through the gears with the car off and the clutch in. Off to class- more updates to come.

I REALLY appreciate your replies! Thank you so much!

When you get home have a look at the rubber donut at the back of the transmission. The 4 speeds in these puppies don't just blow up, they're pretty hardy.

Could be a clutch issue, but the banging noise points towards guibo failure (especially since you mentioned it sat for a while- rubber parts tend to fail over periods of time)

1974 Malaga 2002 4282899 "Little Red"

1976 Polaris 2002 2374061 "Rusty Shackleford" 

1998 Dk. Blue Volvo S70 T5 "Carlene"- 221k Miles 

I too live on the North side of Houston. IF it is the guibo, I just had to have mine replaced....and in Houston. The part ran about $160 with new hardware and the shop hit me with 3 hours of labor to install it @$80 per hour. Email me through here, and I'll be glad to fill you in.

BMWCCA #545

1972 BMW 2002 Colorado "Traumcycle"

2000 BMW 323Ci

Blunt has guibos for $24.90.

You may have paid a bit too much.

OP, I'll suggest Steve at Blunttech for your parts requirements.

http://www.blunttech.com/

You can also email him direct. steve at blunttech dot com

Good luck,

I too live on the North side of Houston. IF it is the guibo, I just had to have mine replaced....and in Houston. The part ran about $160 with new hardware and the shop hit me with 3 hours of labor to install it @$80 per hour. Email me through here, and I'll be glad to fill you in.

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.