• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 - compacted

M3M3

it was time Jim and I to put the agave out of its misery, and clean up the remnants from the verona tii....

out came the sawzall.

2012-11-23_13-17-25_362.jpg

this pile is an entire 2002 shell, plus some engine parts..

2012-11-23_14-39-35_991.jpg

so...who needs a trailer to bring your 2002 to shows, an entire 2002 will fit in the back of an F250 pickup! (some assembly required!)

2012-11-23_13-51-50_15.jpg

2012-11-23_13-52-09_419.jpg

2012-11-23_13-51-58_341.jpg

well, two loads counting all the extra junk from the tii...

2012-11-23_09-38-20_382.jpg

2012-11-23_09-38-34_841.jpg

two recycling loads totalling about 2200lbs....grand total value of 2002 for scrap....$120.

minus $40 in sawzall blades and $14 lunch at Roy Rogers....

2xM3

thankfully there are still plenty of 02's out there for people to make into furniture! the rust and damage these two had did not make them candidates for anything so nice.

yep, door handles and other stuff were good. nobody seemed to want them, so off they went.

2xM3

Could have made an '02 trailer out of that Agave.

Les - the rear clip of the Agave 71 was in worse shape than we originally thought. See-thru spare tire well, slathered on layers of seam sealer hiding rust along the rear panel section, rust around fuel tank, rusted out shock tower, puncture in floor from a possible jack or jack stand, quarter panels patched by a PO with rust down in the wheel wells, rear rockers rusted thru, tail panel bent from a previous accident, etc. It would take a lot of work to make something presentable out of the car unless someone had plenty of time, skills and money.

We don't advocate cutting up any old car just because we can (or need the space). The Agave car would have been sent to a crusher by the PO because he had 25+ cars on his property rotting away. Had the car been in better shape, I would have found a way to either keep it or sell it.

Jim

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

a trailer would have been cool, but...

it is actually pretty scary what you find when you cut up old 2002's.

rust is everywhere that you don't see. inside rockers, inside frame rails, behind panels, under the dash, everywhere. these things could look ok on the outside, but inside..yikes.

the design of these things has very little structure.

-there is nothing structural behind the gas tank on a roundie. bumper is a joke and it is just bolted to the sheet metal tail panel.

-the A-pillar is decorative. very little metal

-B and C-pillars are not much better

-rockers are just a sheet metal tube

in today's world of stiff unibody cars and trucks, 2002's are just plain unsafe. add in the lack of modern seatbelts, airbags, ABS and traction control and i would not let wife or kids use one of these as a daily driver.

i will post some cross section pics soon.

2xM3

and I'm still looking for this oil pump spacer..... part number 7

http://www.penskeparts.com/DiagramsMid/B0018945.png?v=03192010/

3410619 - 74 1802 Verona Touring

3460120 - 74 Verona Touring....... (Sold) sent off to LA.

2760306 - Ultimate driving machine Skidmark 204 car. 72 Inka (Sold)

Formerly the old and slow division of Skidmark Racing. 

Jim/Marshall,

Yes, I know.

I have one that I need to send to the crusher, but keep wondering about a trailer. Not that I could do it, but I know someone that can!

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Keep those pictures handy and post them in another 5 years.

Block, crank, brake booster, intake manefold and all those little pieces.

John

Block, crank and those pistons were from my 69. Bores were too scored/rusted, pistons trash, connecting rods bent, crankshaft scored deep in 2 or 3 places I think. Brake booster was from the '71 - full of fluid. Intake manifold and Weber 32/36 pulled from the 71. Crusty on the inside.

We asked if anyone wanted this stuff. Why do folks ask after they are gone?

I have two more complete engines that are in better shape than the '69.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"