• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ca and 76 BMW 2002s

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

So what is this I keep reading of not to buy 76 cars in CA because of emission issues? So how long is this going to last for CA? Is it going to expire next year as the car will be one year older? I see that 75 and older cars are fine. So I'm not understanding this anti 76 cars.

Please someone explain.

Its been challenged in the past, unsuccessfully, but all 1976 and later cars are, and will always be, subject to smog testing.

So as parts wear, and/or become unavailable for the smog systems, the 1976 cars in CA become more and more cumbersome to own. Thus, typically selling for below 'market value', and usually out of state.

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

It use to be a rolling 30 year rule, which means every year up until 2005, your 30 year old car became smog exempt. In 2005, the CA legislature passed a bill which did away with the rolling 30 year rule and made 1975 the last year that cars became smog exempt. Gov Schwarzenegger signed the legislation which made the CA Air Resources Board (CARB) very happy. CARB is a huge bureauacracy that basically dislikes old cars and wants them all crushed due to environmental reasons. Luckily, the muscle car crowd lobbyists along with Jay Leno has successfully fought proposed legislation in recent years that would make smog checks mandatory for 75 and earlier cars in CA.

If you live in CA, you want to stay away from 76 2002's. It's a bitch to get a 37 year old car with carbs to pass CA smog. If you live out of state, there are some great deals on 76 2002's in CA.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

It's all cars 76 and later. Society is slowly loosing its love for the automobile. Thats why you see so much public transportation. Here in the Portland area the city has given up a lot of its public roads to choo choo trains and bicycles. It is so much about the environment and clean air everybody should ride a bike take a bus or train that cars are considered "EVIL". Teenagers here don't even own cars and have no desire to drive, many parents are now chauffeurs. Kids nowadays don't even care about cars or classic cars. Really worried about the future of the Classic Car. Who will be the keepers or custodians of these beloved vintage vehicles?

My guess is that it'll go the way of the horse eventually. That is, it will be a boutique-type hobby without relevance to day to day living. That is not to say it will disappear altogether, just a distilled version of what was once the automotive community. There will still be passionate people, just less relevance.

My guess is that it'll go the way of the horse eventually. That is, it will be a boutique-type hobby without relevance to day to day living. That is not to say it will disappear altogether, just a distilled version of what was once the automotive community. There will still be passionate people, just less relevance.

+1

Jay Leno said it best when he was on Top Gear. He said (I am massively paraphrasing) that he loves alternative energy cars like hydrogen and electric (and I suspect public transportation) because it frees up real cars to be used how they should be used: for driving, not commuting.

Just like how the horse didn't disappear after the invention of the car. The horse was freed to an existence of enjoyment use, not industrial/commercial.

Sorry if I pulled this thread to off topic.

I have a 76 cali 2002 and i never need to smog it again!!! i got 45 DCOE dual! ;P

What is your secret? I am on the hunt for an 02 for my wife to daily and can find plenty of 76 clean 02s. It's actually very sad.

88 535is

74 2002tii Project

I never had an issue with my 76 in WA and I'm out of DEQ range in Oregon :P

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

I live in the Lake Tahoe area in Placer County, CA. Thankfully my '74tii no longer needs to be smogged, however in this part of the county cars only need to be smogged on change of ownership, not every other year. So if you have a '76 and a friend or PO box here, who knows the possibilities??? There may be other areas in CA which are the same.

1974 Amazonasgrun tii "Hellcat"

1990 K75S

I live in the Lake Tahoe area in Placer County, CA. Thankfully my '74tii no longer needs to be smogged, however in this part of the county cars only need to be smogged on change of ownership, not every other year. So if you have a '76 and a friend or PO box here, who knows the possibilities??? There may be other areas in CA which are the same.

I think you've just made a ton of new friends...

88 535is

74 2002tii Project