• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A/C anyone used this system?

AndyS

Andy,

Those are pretty much the same components that comprise the Clardy system. Looks to be an updated parallel flow condensor, but other than that same as on my 02 Clardy system

Earl

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

Looks to be an updated parallel flow condensor,

Earl

The eBay system uses the same condenser as the A.I.R. AC system. It's not actually a parallel flow condenser -- those are straps, not tanks, at either end -- but it is identical in overall dimensions to the original Clardy condenser. Admittedly, there are a couple more cross-tubes on this condenser than on the original Clardy condenser, thanks to the miracles of miniaturization and robotized manufacturing.

I can't tell from the eBay photos whether the evaporator/blower components -- they don't appear on the 2 photos I see -- are also similar to the A.I.R AC unit. But the A.I.R. unit is, indeed, a copy of the original Clardy.

Given the eBay unit's condenser, but no photos of the evaporator/blower, I suspected that the eBay system might be an A.I.R. system.

I purchased an A.I.R. system, sans the evaporator/blower, and intended to replace all but the evaporator/blower of my original Clardy and convert my system to R134a. But I was accidentally shipped an R12 compressor, and seeing also that the condenser was neither parallel flow nor larger than my original Clardy condenser, I realized I would be losing cooling capacity by converting to R134a, when compared to my R12 Clardy system which, amazingly, continues to work well (for 2002 AC, that is!). I returned the A.I.R. system and stuck with R12. When the Clardy blows up, I'll have to revisit my options!

All of this said, I suspect that the A.I.R. AC, and probably the eBay, systems work decently. But given the condenser constraints, and my personal unwillingness to cut my car's horn supports or anything else to accommodate a larger, parallel flow condenser, I was bound to be disappointed switching directly from a good-working R12 system to an R134a system.

Good luck with your project.

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Andy I am in the process of installing this setup..

http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/hurricane-ac-systems/universal-hurricane-systems-cable-operated-c-1_32000000_120131979_120131981.html

It's a new evap for behind the console. Plus it has a heater core in it so you can ditch the old heater core and fan. Just blank off the holes left by it. Have to re-run a few hoses but this new evap will match the entire new system much better. Mie is still sitting in a box in the garage until I have spare time to do an install

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

Andy I am in the process of installing this setup..

http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/hurricane-ac-systems/universal-hurricane-systems-cable-operated-c-1_32000000_120131979_120131981.html

It's a new evap for behind the console. Plus it has a heater core in it so you can ditch the old heater core and fan. Just blank off the holes left by it. Have to re-run a few hoses but this new evap will match the entire new system much better. Mie is still sitting in a box in the garage until I have spare time to do an install

I have been eyeballing this system since I saw Eurotrash post about it. It looks like a great alternative to stock. Did you size up the space required? What are you using for a condenser and compressor? I like this unit because you can probably use the original cable controls and you get everything in one unit. A little fabbing is required but what you end up with is a modern blower and evap that probably moves a lot more air then any of the clardy, Behr or fridgiking units available. You have no fresh air with this but I don't think it makes much difference. Hoses have to be run up to the existing heater hoses but that's no big deal. Please take a couple of photos when you do it. On my list of future projects for the Inka gangster.

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

Looks to be an updated parallel flow condensor,

Earl

I can't tell from the eBay photos whether the evaporator/blower components -- they don't appear on the 2 photos I see -- are also similar to the A.I.R AC unit. But the A.I.R. unit is, indeed, a copy of the original Clardy.

Given the eBay unit's condenser, but no photos of the evaporator/blower, I suspected that the eBay system might be an A.I.R. system.

Good luck with your project.

Steve

The Ebay add state the offered components are to be used with your already existing evap blower, hence no pics. All you are buying is the stuff under the hood.

Earl

74 02Lux

02 M Roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

The Ebay add state the offered components are to be used with your already existing evap blower, hence no pics. All you are buying is the stuff under the hood.

Earl

74 02Lux

02 M Roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

The price, then, seems a bit high when compared to buying separate components: $250 for a hobiedave bracket and compressor, $200 for a condenser and auxiliary fan, $50 for a receiver/drier, and the balance for the hoses. Hmmmm? Maybe it's not so bad; I don't know what 4 barrier-style hoses cost! I suppose if everything really fits and works, it could save some time and legwork.

I really would like to see one the forum members make one of these new-fangled heat/AC units work and look as good as, and as "factory" as, a Behr unit. I know a bunch of you are circling around this goal, but I haven't yet seen a completed heat/AC system!

Regards,

Steve

As for the Ebay system you could buy all those components for about half the price. They are selling my bracket with their kit, I didn't even know it. Heres what you can get the pieces for , maybe even cheaper than that.

Hose and dryer kit - $90

Condenser -$90

Fan -$40

compressor -$160

Clardy bracket -$105

Total -$485

I could put together a kit that would work just as good and for a whole lot less than the E bay.

Dave

1972-2002 "polaris"

2000 M5 "Dieter"

2004 330i "ILKA"

As for the Ebay system you could buy all those components for about half the price. They are selling my bracket with their kit, I didn't even know it. Heres what you can get the pieces for , maybe even cheaper than that.

Hose and dryer kit - $90

Condenser -$90

Fan -$40

compressor -$160

Clardy bracket -$105

Total -$485

I could put together a kit that would work just as good and for a whole lot less than the E bay.

Dave

And if you read the eBay description --which I finally did -- the compressor bracket is not included for $875: it's an optional extra, $100 to $150 depending on style. Hmmm?

Steve

I wonder if this could be Dallas select classics? I sold a few brackets to them a while back. The prices are very inflated for their partial system. The Ice A/C seems like its twice as expensive than the E bay system. It does not tell what is included with the kit.

I still like the Hurricane system, I think its a doable to modernize the 2002. You can still use the original face plate from one of the three system we use.

Dave

1972-2002 "polaris"

2000 M5 "Dieter"

2004 330i "ILKA"

The Ice A/C seems like its twice as expensive than the E bay system. It does not tell what is included with the kit.

The I.C.E. AC system, in contrast to the eBay items, is a complete system, including not only the underhood equipment but also evaporator/blower, console panels, wiring, everything. Expensive? Perhaps, but where else can you currently get a new, ready-to-install evaporator/blower/console unit.

I agree the Hurricane unit has potential but it requires customization -- I still haven't seen a photo of one properly installed in a 2002 -- and not everyone wants to jettison their original heater and (albeit limited) fresh air induction.

Regards,

Steve

Hose and dryer kit - $90

Condenser -$90

Fan -$40

compressor -$160

Clardy bracket -$105

Total -$485

Dave

Yup, all that is universal and can be had a lot cheaper. That's what I installed on my old Schwarz '02 and it cooled much better than expected. The cost was about the same as Dave says above. Unfortunately, the old Frigiking blower/evaporator had a small leak, and I had to recharge it about once a month.

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290

The I.C.E. AC system, in contrast to the eBay items, is a complete system, including not only the underhood equipment but also evaporator/blower, console panels, wiring, everything. Expensive? Perhaps, but where else can you currently get a new, ready-to-install evaporator/blower/console unit.

Steve

That is true, what system are they basing it off for the interior and wiring? Behr, Fridgeking, Clardy I would like to see some pictures of the install when its completed. Weird that they would go to all the trouble of a complete system. Then put an adapter bracket in the kit to mount the compressor? Well thats what I can see from the one picture they have up to sell the entire kit. Like we say on the forums Pictures pictures pictures......

Dave

1972-2002 "polaris"

2000 M5 "Dieter"

2004 330i "ILKA"