• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

new 74-76 Door sills preventing door from shutting correctly

1971Ginger

I recently installed new door seals and just purchased the late version(74-76) door skid plates with the longer plastic plate protecting the door jam, my car is a 1971 yet this should matter. I'm having a hard time with the door fitting/sealing fully when closed. the bottom rear edge of each door sticks out . I can slam the door and it does not matter. without the plates my my doors shut great.

Is there anything I'm not doing right which is preventing me from completely shutting the door?

(picture is not mine but serves as a reference for the part)

post-20026-13667663736685_thumb.jpg

1971- 02-Malaga -(Ginger)- 2nd owner

1973-02- chamonix (sold)

pardon any grammatical errors in my posts, im probably on my cell phone.

I contemplated doing the same with my recent resto, but the later sill plates did not cover the carpeting like the early ones did. IIRC, the later plates had a built in lower door seal, and if I used them, I would have needed to remove the original door seal section which was in good shape. I scrapped the idea.

--> 1968 2002 <--

The gasket in the pic is installed incorrectly--the tab on the end of the door gasket should insert into threshold strip (which is hollow).

I just noticed that. on my Car I did tuck the gasket into the correct slot, this is why I'm baffled. good eye though!

1973-02- chamonix (sold)

than the originals & can take time to compress, while some never do. Some owners have readjusted their doors & windows to compensate for the add'l thickness.

Are these gaskets from BMW or made by Uro?

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

than the originals & can take time to compress, while some never do. Some owners have readjusted their doors & windows to compensate for the add'l thickness.

Are these gaskets from BMW or made by Uro?

the door gasket were recently installed and one door got an original new bmw gasket and I've got one door installed witha uro gasket. its actually the door sill plate (the long plastic plate that runs along bottom of door) that seems to give me issues. I adjusted the glass slightly for the new gasket but its the door sill for sure.

1973-02- chamonix (sold)

have you adjusted the strike plates at all? My door seals (OEM) are a few years old & are just FINALLY breaking in. After we had my car in pieces, and putting the seals & doors back on, we had to futz with the strike plates to get the doors to close properly. But... new seals will need to be broken in.

I also just replaced the sill covers with new, no issue at all, but I have a late model, you have an earlier...

IMG_1074.jpg

IMG_1072.jpg

IMG_1071.jpg

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

• 3 years later...

Is your door hanging too low? Look at the body lines if there is a chance to adjust the door slightly higher.

I don't think there is much else to do if the plastic sill panel sits all the way down. One thing that would make it worse if you have very thick carpet material under the sill...

Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

Old thread I know but I am having the same exact issue. Door appears to bind on the new sill.

Can I ask where you got your new sills? (The black plastic threshold plate). I contacted Steve at Blunt a couple weeks ago, he said they were NLA for my '74.

1974 2002 Sahara

Is your door hanging too low? Look at the body lines if there is a chance to adjust the door slightly higher.

I don't think there is much else to do if the plastic sill panel sits all the way down. One thing that would make it worse if you have very thick carpet material under the sill...

Tommy

Well its a little hard to say.  it looks straight on the outside.  I just noticed that from the inside the door seems tighter on the sill rubber near the hinge side (vs the latch side).  Since my last post however I noticed that the door was missing its latch kernel  and once replaced it improved 50% on closing.  So I'm not sure, I'm thinking the wing window at the top might push the door down a little when it comes against the new uro seals (don't get us started on uro seals) making that plate sill tighter near the hinge...  I'm experimenting with wing window adjustment as well.

'76 02 (Nellie) daily driver since '94

'76 02 (Oscar) sunroof restore since '10

• 1 year later...

Just a quick question about the sill gaskets.  I just replaced my door gasket and the sill gasket looks to be about 2 inches shy of the sill plate.  Has the gasket shrunk that much?  Should the sill gasket be flush with the ends of the sill plate?

Thanks

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002