• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Am I going crazy?

burgerking

I have a sneaky suspision that my brights have something to do with my engine running hot. During the day I have no issues with engine temp, but in the evening, with my brights on, the engine seems to be sizzling after 10 minutes.

Further, my brights seem to drain the battery while I drive...

Any chance of wiring being the problem here?

The battery has been tested and is in good order.

leave to esty to come up with the perfect test! When you say brights, I'm assuming you mean high beams versus low. So no problem when the lights are on low beam?

I don't see how the lights could affect the engine temperature. I wonder if it's a bad theromostat and there's something about the heat of the day versus perhaps a cooler evening that causes it to malfunction - guess it might depend on where you're located. What do the hoses on either side of it feel like when it's at running temperature? The battery draining when the brights are on? Sounds like a bad ground or a problem with your alternator - I don't suppose this could cause a false reading on the temp. guage?

You car looks familiar!

Charlie

1973 '02 - Chamonix White

1977 320i - Madeira

{option}

No you are not going crazy, this has very little to do with brain chemistry. The temp gauge is a guide and not 100% accurate.

A bad ground with the headlight & turn signal circuit can manifest itself through the temp gauge. When you put on your turn signals does the temp needle pulse up and down?

If so, there is increased resistance in the circuit, resistance = heat, clean grounds and connections.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

No you are not going crazy, this has very little to do with brain chemistry. The temp gauge is a guide and not 100% accurate.

A bad ground with the headlight & turn signal circuit can manifest itself through the temp gauge. When you put on your turn signals does the temp needle pulse up and down?

If so, there is increased resistance in the circuit, resistance = heat, clean grounds and connections.

I think we have it.

Thanks for all the feed back.

are your back-up lights on?

Yes - when the car is in reverse. The common ground point next to the gas tank has been cleaned along with the ones near the taillights. Extra ground wire was added by PO to the instrument cluster.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"