• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I got Dunlop Wire Wheels & put them on my daily driver

LimeySteve

I was at a friends shop that sells old Ford parts he had some old boxes of Wire wheels, as soon as I saw them I recognized them as Dunlops, (I loved them as a kid in England) he checked & had 1 set of 4x100 so I got them for a silly cheap price. The box was dated April 1973 so I figured they were era correct . I am really happy it changed the look of my car significantly , a set of 175 70 13 tires & I was on my way to a new classy look .

IMG_0538.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0540.jpg

It's a pity the sun was not shining !!

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

Oh, my Lord!

Next it will leak.

Soon the lights will dim.

Eventually a knock- off will loosen

and you'll strip the splines.

THEN, and only then, will you be TRULY driving a vintage Briddish

motor.

Fantastic. I think you should build a Lotus 7 replica out

of 2002 bits and put them on it. Then they will be perfect!

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

very cool and definitely period correct.

people may mock but remember, plenty of desireable alloys ape the style of wire wheels, even today. The original sports wheel!

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Exactly , the basket weave et al are all an attempt to recreate a wire wheel en mass , I grew up with these wheels as the classy wheel I could never afford but a look I liked. In person they look great & when I was parked outside my building yesterday I had people coming in to find out more.

1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

Hi Steve, I had Dunlop's on a 1969 MGC GT I restored back in the 80"s, I had the true chromed eared knock offs, 15in 72 polished stainless steel spokes rims, I think the set cost me around $1200 back then, it's a art truing them if they get bumped, did you need to use tubes in the tires. The best part about them was the classic polished chrome look, the worst was the time that was needed to keep them clean and looking that way :) Have fun!

Harry

1975 BMW 2002 Taiga

2000 BMW M Roadster evergreen

Cheers Harry , yes I needed tubes as they were so old the sealing tape over the spokes was no longer sealing. I had to clean them , 40 years in a box had them looking dull , the chrome is great now though . The cleaning was rather tedious but as I waited for the tire shop to go pick up the tires I gave them a good detail . I wanted a different look from my factory alloys .

I was at a friends shop that sells old Ford parts he had some old boxes of Wire wheels, as soon as I saw them I recognized them as Dunlops, (I loved them as a kid in England) he checked & had 1 set of 4x100 so I got them for a silly cheap price. The box was dated April 1973 so I figured they were era correct . I am really happy it changed the look of my car significantly , a set of 175 70 13 tires & I was on my way to a new classy look .

AWESOME! I was wondering how wire wheels would look on a 2002. That really compliments the car. I think I'm going to save getting wire wheels for my 62 oldsmobile though, but still.. sweet.