• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Throttle linkage for MS 325i TB

mike472

I wanted to see if anyone had a pic of their throttle linkage for this MS 318i conversion. I was going to make a reflex bracket that came off the 2 6mm studs next to the throttle body opening on the manifold. I have a good Lokar cable about 24" and will use two of the pedal box bolts for my bracket at the other end. I have a general idea of what to make but thought I would ask for some feedback here.

post-19339-13667655324509_thumb.jpg

post-19339-1366765532601_thumb.jpg

post-19339-13667655327279_thumb.jpg

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

Mal

I have a 318i manifold so you're pulling on a throttle lever located on the bottom of the manifold. It's a much easier cable run doing it directly without the bellcrank in this case. Should be a pretty gentle "S" bend. I have a good idea on how to do it but it's always nice to see someone else's take on it first. I had seen Chris's video and it is a nice setup for the top of the manifold butterfly on a tii. I am making a stanchion that bolts to the two studs on the manifold that are located in a good position. The other thing is making sure the pull is as straight as can be at both ends of the cable. Will post a pic when I get it done.

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

Mal

I have a 318i manifold so you're pulling on a throttle lever located on the bottom of the manifold. It's a much easier cable run doing it directly without the bellcrank in this case. Should be a pretty gentle "S" bend. I have a good idea on how to do it but it's always nice to see someone else's take on it first. I had seen Chris's video and it is a nice setup for the top of the manifold butterfly on a tii. I am making a stanchion that bolts to the two studs on the manifold that are located in a good position. The other thing is making sure the pull is as straight as can be at both ends of the cable. Will post a pic when I get it done.

Mike I was thinking the same thing. To do a side pull you really have to drop the bracket down low to get an even pull. I think it'd be best if you pulled straight down on the lever arm as you're suggesting (presuming you can get enough travel from the pedal assy). I'm going to be monkeying with it this weekend and next. Let me know if you get it done sooner.

-Lloyd

"Sabine" 1976 Polaris / Navy - 12+ year Inop Ebay Find. Now with Microsquirt and Cold A/C. 

here are a couple I had bookmarked for future reference when I get around to it... shows some pictures, some good discussion about a progressive pull...

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,343826/

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/p,843054/#843054

also, I just emailed with Tom 02again last month and he said he is indeed working on a throttle cable setup... I asked him if he might have something by summer when I'd like to tackle my conversion and he thought that was possible. Still, ask him yourself so he knows there is some interest.

Rob

1966 Mustang vert - 5.0EFI/AOD & mods

1975 '02 - the typical upgrades (my 'new' car)

Took a shot at making brackets for all my MS stuff today. I had originally had a big MSD 6AL up front. Didnt want to leave those big honkin holes I drilled unused. Hence all the brackets. My relay board will mount up where the coil originally went while the new Accel coil and EDIS module will mount where the 6AL used to be up front. Will finish accelerator bracket tomorrow. Made good progress today. Good thing I don't have a normal job.

post-1151-13667655397355_thumb.jpg

post-1151-13667655399262_thumb.jpg

post-1151-13667655401179_thumb.jpg

post-1151-1366765540308_thumb.jpg

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

Took a shot at making brackets for all my MS stuff today. I had originally had a big MSD 6AL up front. Didnt want to leave those big honkin holes I drilled unused. Hence all the brackets. My relay board will mount up where the coil originally went while the new Accel coil and EDIS module will mount where the 6AL used to be up front. Will finish accelerator bracket tomorrow. Made good progress today. Good thing I don't have a normal job.

Looking good! Where'd you get the big yellow coil pack??

You can get it from Jeg's.... Accell #140028 for your stock BMW wires. $59

Do not buy part# 140018, which looks almost like the 028, if you plan on using your stock wires. This one is for Ford Focus wire connectors. They have a different clip connector and use the stock Ford coilpack. This one is listed for European cars some of which used regular ends that also would fit into distributor caps. The stock Ford EDIS4 pigtail fits right in.

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

You can get it from Jeg's.... Accell #140028 for your stock BMW wires. $59

Do not buy part# 140018, which looks almost like the 028, if you plan on using your stock wires. This one is for Ford Focus wire connectors. They have a different clip connector and use the stock Ford coilpack. This one is listed for European cars some of which used regular ends that also would fit into distributor caps. The stock Ford EDIS4 pigtail fits right in.

Cool, thank you! So this one will work with the stock plug wire?

http://www.amazon.com/Accel-140028-Coil-4-Tower-99-5-04/dp/B000N8DHPE/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1FZ4TGZ6LJ9HM&colid=WJQEMZ0ZRJOO

I went back and looked. I made a mistake. I bought it from Amazon at the same price you have in the link. $34 I bought so many little things for this MS project I am starting to lose track.

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

I went back and looked. I made a mistake. I bought it from Amazon at the same price you have in the link. $34 I bought so many little things for this MS project I am starting to lose track.

Cool. I have the FORD EDIS coil pack right now and I actually HATE the ford plug wires!

Here is my linkage, got it from Tom at '02Again, not sure if he is still making them or not. He did a really good job on it. The return spring is just something I picked up at the junk yard.

---Mark.P---

Looks like you used the 318i TB. The lever is on the other side on the 325i. I emailed Tom and he told me my setup was a little overkill. He also told me about the linkages he has made for some folks. I think I would rather pull on cable straight down like the throttle pedal does. I don't see what the bellcrank does for you other then adding another piece in the chain to break or create more friction and make the whole chain too long. I am going to try the 24" straight cable directly connected to the lever arm coming out of the pedal box first. Normal cable operated throttles don't usually go through a setup like that.

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

mike472,

From your photo, doesn't the lever arm on the TB pull up? If it is the same as my e30, it looks like it should. The notch holds the cable end and the cable pulls against the notch.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.