• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carpet question

bnam

My car has the Navy Blue interior -- with the 2 original (I think) kick panel pieces still in good condition and a PO added once piece set that I'd like to replace.

So, I'd like to get a new set that matches the original closely so I can retain those 2 pieces. Unfortunately Esty does not provide samples, so hoping someone here might have bought a blue set and could comment/provide pics on how closely it matched the original.

Thanks!

Byas

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Replace all of it with an Esty deal an go with Eurotrashe's kick panels that accommodate speakers covered in matching carpet and you will be bawlin'

In for dime, in for dollar!

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

moulded carpet. But you're never gonna get old original carpet to match new carpet, even if it's from the same maker, so go for the whole set and keep the originals just as an example for a future owner. Esty makes nice stuff!

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

1974 was the 1st year of the moulded set...if your carpet's good and if you can send me a small sample of a picture of it, i'd bet that i can match it as close as is possible...like was said above...it's unlikely that if you were able to find the original color material laying in a box in some warehouse in germany that it would match your 30 year old faded, shampooed, etc carpet

if your set is not original then it'll be like looking for a needle in a haystack...i'm uncertain that any 2 independent maker, like myself would use the same vendor so it's unlikely that you'll ever match it without going back to the person that may have made the replacement set, and hope that he can still get it...if that's the case

good luck in your quest and if any of those colors i sent you may work, give me a shout

Since it was originally a moulded set and I don't want to go that way, I think I'm just going to bag the idea of trying to match the 2 remaining pieces and just pick a good color to go with the Navy interior. Now, the questions are should I go light or dark, what will make it too monochromatic, etc.

Will do some more searching for interior pics and then give you a call to get your opinion as well.

Thanks

B

There's somethings on this site that one just doesn't mess with except by taking your life into your own hands. Stick with the carpet by Esty and you'll have no regrets.

I'd even go as far as just telling him what you have, and ask for his best advice and suggestions. He has more backgroud on these things that the rest of us combined.

BMWCCA #545

1972 BMW 2002 Colorado "Traumcycle"

2000 BMW 323Ci

no. you just have to make a couple slits for them when you install the carpet. you will be cutting in many other places too, so you will have the box cutter handy....;-)

Esty has some great instructions on how to install, or you can search for my "Esty Carpet Install" thread.

oh, here it is.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,336845/highlight,carpet/

2xM3

That does look good. Do you have a pic of that shows the Gray carpet as well as the Blue Vinyl door panel or seats?

Here you go.

The grey lightens up the interior compared to the original dark blue one.

When I get around to it, I may redo the seats and use a grey cloth insert to replace the light blue.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

I'd even go as far as just telling him what you have, and ask for his best advice and suggestions. He has more backgroud on these things that the rest of us combined.

Remember Esty is a she, with great carpets!!!!!

Don

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007

Dang Les! Spiffen up that ride!

Yes, I really need to finish this car. I redid all suspension components, put in the new carpet and then parked the car.

I need to thin the herd as I keep jumping from one car to the other, and none of them get finished.

Bill, check out part #s 63 13 1 354 557 and 558.

The orig Euro bubble front blinkers for the Touring tii only (according to the parts book). Probably part of the "sport paket".

They are still available apparently.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17