• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 LED Conversion kit

02for2

First, let me thank the one hundred or so 2002 owners who have already purchased our LED conversion kit !!

It has been very gratifying to know that we have contributed in some way to this excellent Marque !!

I have been informed that our e-store - www.2002s.net will be down for upgrading Thursday 11/17/11 through Friday 11/18/11.

I will be out of the Country during this upgrade, and unsure of the internet access I will have.

But, I want to assure you that we are ready to service your needs.

If you have an order, or any questions regarding our kit during this time, feel free to email me at: info@2002s.net.

I will have limited internet access during my trip, but will try to respond to everyone who emails me at this address.

Thank you...

Cheers !

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

Todd21 has his squaretail lights wired so that the top is the brake and the bottom is the running light. I suggest that anyone installing these at least wire them that way first to see if they like the difference. This gets the brake lights a touch higher for 'free', and just adds to the perceived brightness.

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

Won't these be too directional to be safe in real life? On modern cars with LED lights the majority of the engineering is in the diffuser lens and lens plastics, basically a lot of effort spent on making sure that the directional LED light is dispersed and reflected to all directions properly, like... a light bulb. otherwise the lights look "good" to you straight from behind but in real traffic might not be seen well enough from other angles.

So far I've had *really* good results with just taking my housings apart, sanding and re-painting the chrome, and then putting in new bulbs. Ridiculously bright and looks good from all angles.

Won't these be too directional to be safe in real life? On modern cars with LED lights the majority of the engineering is in the diffuser lens and lens plastics, basically a lot of effort spent on making sure that the directional LED light is dispersed and reflected to all directions properly, like... a light bulb. otherwise the lights look "good" to you straight from behind but in real traffic might not be seen well enough from other angles.

So far I've had *really* good results with just taking my housings apart, sanding and re-painting the chrome, and then putting in new bulbs. Ridiculously bright and looks good from all angles.

Thats a good question. My concern is primarily being seen from the rear. My car is red and even though I have re-painted and added new bulbs, it seems the running lights blend into the red paint scheme a little to easily.

• 4 weeks later...

An average incandescant bulb/lens has a 'throw angle' of 270°.

The average LED has a 'throw angle' of <70°.

This is why each of our arrays contains 50+ LEDs (150+ LEDs per side).

The effect is cummulative.

Through trial & error (producing 8 pre-production prototypes), by adding this number... as well as the way they're arranged, we've achieved a 'throw angle' of 278°.

So, to answer your question... YES, individual LEDs have a limited 'throw angle'.

But, the way we have arranged them, they actually exceed the 'throw angle' of the stock OEM incandecesant units.

In other words, there is no concern about being seen at any angles beyond directly to the rear.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

• 5 months later...

I just installed a set of these in my'73 roundie - the difference is incredible! I did it early in the evening, so it would be dark and I could see what they looked like with maximum contrast (a darkened garage). They about tear your retinas out by the roots - I stared a bit too long and the image was burned into my vision for about a minute after looking away.

Installation was easy, even for a klutz like me - directions are well written and clear. I have no problem with the flasher cycle rate - it didn't change noticeably from when there were incandescent bulbs back there. It's really nice to know I've got four "bulbs" lit for rear running lights (not just two) and that all four will then blaze away when I step on the brakes. Angle of throw is excellent - I moved left and right of the car about the width of a lane and about 40 feet back, and they still shouted loudly at me.

I highly recommend these LED panels as an easy way to improve the quality of your brake lights in a massive way (and no, I don't own stock in the vendor's firm).

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive, well-preserved body. You should skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body totally used up, screaming "WOO HOO! What a ride!!"

I was expecting a headlights pic. I'm truly disappointed.

;-p

Ray

I just installed a set of these in my'73 roundie - the difference is incredible!

+1

One of the best mods you can make.

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Yes... we are working on other applications such as turn signals and running lights... stay tuned.

An LED Reverse Light is really unwarranted. Think about how few minutes/yr. this light is actually lit - it's not a cost effective upgrade. And, it would naturally raise the price point, unnecessarily.

Add to this that there are really no true White LEDs - white color is achieved by manipulating the RBG substrate at the cost of higher power consumption, greater heat and lower light output. In this application, the incandescant is an all-around better choice.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

• 2 months later...
Yes... we are working on other applications such as turn signals and running lights... stay tuned.

Cheers!

Would love to have some amber ones for my Euro turn signals. Any idea when that might happen?

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive, well-preserved body. You should skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body totally used up, screaming "WOO HOO! What a ride!!"

• 7 years later...