• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1976 BMW 2002 WHISTLING NOISE

ramayah

After running for a few miles I will hear a kind if high pitched whistling noise coming from the right side. More like a very fine squealing or whining sound. My mechanic inpspected underneath to see if anything is grazing or rubbing but found nothing. I hear it only when the car is warm and I am traveling above 25 mph.

Thanks for your help in determining its cause.

Randy

Or maybe you have an aftermarket windshield seal?

But again if only when warm I've no idea! Some sort of intake leak vacuum leak?

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978

Check hood trim, if there is a small gap it'll whistle.

Wheel bearings, when was the last time they were greased and torqued?

Brakes, caliper or cylinder could be hanging up a little on warped rotors or drums.

Alternator bushings need to be replaced, belt too old, too loose.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

I will check the trim.

I don't recall ever checking the wheel bearings. This could be the problem,

A few days ago the alternator was rebuilt and put back. The problem was there before changing the alternator.

My brakes are also sqealing, the front right, when I apply the brakes.

The noise is coming from the right front on the wheel area.

Thanks for all your help,

Randy

Hello Jerry and all responders,

I do believe it's a wind noise. I drove the car today and try to listen carefully where the noise is coming from. It looks like it's coming from somewhere around the hood. And it comes only when I am doing over 40mph. When I slow down I don't hear it,

I mentioned before I will hear it when the engine is warm. When it's warm is when I drive fast. So, I really thought I heard it when it's warm.

I will check the hood trim etc to see if I can find something out of whack.

Thanks

Randy

I think you found it. I too had this noise and tried several different fixes until I got to the belt line trim around the front of the hood. I snapped it back in place with some new clips...no more noise.

1974 polaris A 4281992 (total resto with 5-spd conversion)

1976 jadegrun 2744974 (sold then killed by the new owner, grrrr!)

1976 sahara A 2392532 (sold)

1971 nevada 2571108(RIP)

could be your rubber weather seals around the windows....I replaced all of my dry-rotted seals when I replaced my front and rear windshield. Don't forget to check the rubber seals around the tiny triangle windows.... next to the driver and passenger

'72 2002 Tii (Roundie)