• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

bang for my buck mods opinion sought

autoaloha

search seems to be broken and isn't letting me move past the first page of results and I figure this is a question many might have also:

what mods are considered excellent bang for the buck?

here's what I've pieced together for my stockish '74 auto

(don't tell me to do a 5sp swap, this is my gf's daily and we live in Honolulu, which has got to be rank up there with London and Dehli in traffic congestion)

car will never be tracked.

I have this stuff, please tell me if there's some other inexpensive items I could hunt for that will improve our fun or safety and work well with the existing items I've accumulated:

32/36- installed

74tii distributor- just got

74tii exhaust manifold- just got

tii eberspacher- just got

292 schrick cam- just got

Bilstein Sports- installed

(cut my springs)

Blunttech suspension refurb kit- installed

ST sway bars- installed

e21 recaros- installed

e21 sportwheel- installed

76 seatbelts- installed

e30 weaves- installed

so what else guys?

i've got vovlo girling BBK on the list already.

thanks in advance!

-ken

1984 Pininfarina Spider Azzura (Fiat 124): sold

1992 300ZX Twin Turbo: sunny days

2001 Toyota 4runner: sold

1974 BMW 2002 automatic: daily

1991 BMW 325iC: sold

1986 BMW 528e: daily

Looks like you have quite a bit of stuff. I don't have a 292 cam but I think you are going to need a bigger carb for that like. Lynx with a 45 dcoe carb. I enjoy the stock cam and would just do a complete flush of all the fluids to get it all clean and tight, have someone local who can help tune get it just right for you and get out and enjoy it on a nice long ride.

It clears my mind and shRpens my driving.

Good luck

Dave

Pittsburgh, PA

67.5 Datsun Roadster

72 2002 Colorado

89 325ix

99 318ti

04 x5 3.0

Light weight flywheel!

for an auto? is that possible or desirable? (sometimes I wish i had a 5sp... maybe the auto will come into fashion at some point haha)

@dave:

I've read that the 32/36 is suited for the 292 at standard compression( in the mccarthy blue resto book). Maybe 38, or a single 45, but I got the 32/36 as a bday gift and am kinda partial. If one falls into my lap: different story.

you're certainly right about the maintenance though!

As far as setting the carb, advancing the timing, flushing the fluids, gaping the plugs, adjusting the valves, and general maintenance, I'm pretty well set! Made sure I performed all this stuff before I began 'molesting' the stockness. Plus, I'd hate to see my gf stranded(it's hard enough to convince her to share my Bimmerthusiasm as it is!).

One thing I forgot to add was a good 3rd brakelight, I remember eurotrash had a good write up.

keep 'em coming! I'm on Summer break!

1984 Pininfarina Spider Azzura (Fiat 124): sold

1992 300ZX Twin Turbo: sunny days

2001 Toyota 4runner: sold

1974 BMW 2002 automatic: daily

1991 BMW 325iC: sold

1986 BMW 528e: daily

If you are looking for engine performance a tube header is a good choice. Header plus cam and carburetor wouldn't be cheap but would be a 'right stuff' symbiotic upgrade. Problem is you do stand a chance of low speed ease of use. You may have to kick your idle up which may not be compatible with the automatic. The automatic shift points are set up for a stock engine too. Tube header alone would give some performance increase with ease of use.

I don't think I am alone in that I really like cars that dropped down on their suspensions a bit. Just seems like less body roll and lower center of gravity are worth the effort. Pretty much free modification if you already have a Saws all or cutoff grinder. A more predictable car give you confidence so *IF* or *AS* you replace suspension components, do it with performance parts like urethane bushings. If you can find aftermarket anti sway bars in a wreckers you will want to snag them.

I like brakes. Anything positive you do to brakes is another confidence builder. The stock brakes are great when they are returned to like new condition. Adjusting them is free, replacing fluid is only a couple of bucks. Common sense is pretty uncommon but deceleration is just as important as acceleration. The ability to brake late, hard, and reliably is key. Fastest accelerating car in the world is just a hazard if the brakes have faded. Stainless steel lines aren't that expensive but I suspect living in Hawaii the fittings are so rusted you will end up having to replace all the fittings so you may want to save that job for when you are ready.

Rick

Rick

In reality, I think you have a good setup. In addition to the brakes you mentioned, the one area you have not upgraded is the springs. You've cut the stocks, which gets you some ride height, but I think you can get more performance from higher quality spring. Some suggestions would be H&R, B&G, ST, Ireland Stage I. I have H&R and I like them a lot. Ride firm, but not harsh at all.

-David

1972 2002 - 2577652 Follow the fun

Hmm. How fast can you drive on the island? How about considering a higher diff ratio? That should make the car more sprightly around town!

Did the auto come with a 3.90?

Cheers,

Ray

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Header made a big difference to mine , as did a better ignition, Crane is good, Pertronix also, cheap & reliable.

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

A NEW set of Seatbelts, see Al Bluedevils on forum, also a set of e30 sunvisors and Rear view Mirror. Upgrade the Alternator to 85-90amp.

Enjoy!

Frank

FO 2573825

1971 2002, 5-OD, Recaro SE, BBK, 90Amp Alt, Turbines, VDO, Hellas, BD belts, LED Tails, 10 Foot DD

I'd almost say the 292 may be a bit much of a cam for an auto doing city driving. I'd say go for something like a 284 if you want a bit of a step up. Other than that looks like you got it pretty well nailed down! 15" wheels is also a big plus, makes handling much nicer.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Even though a previous poster suggested going to urethane bushings, I would stay away from them. They are too harsh for daily driving unless all the roads there are smooth as a ...... Brand new rubber bushings are a much more compliant ride.

I'd almost say the 292 may be a bit much of a cam for an auto doing city driving. I'd say go for something like a 284 if you want a bit of a step up.

agree....292 moves power band up the rpm range. a slush box doesn't get there and the 32/36 can't take advantage of the cam. 284 better.

go for new seat belts from bluedevil.

2xM3

could he do an auto swap with more gears in it?..from an E30 or something better than the 02 Auto? I think that with a 3.90 Diff would be cool..just a thought..

69 2002

04 GTI 1.8T Daily Driver

1974 2002 (Wife's car)

**Vintage BMW meet Uptown Altamonte Springs, 2nd Saturday 7pm Near 436 and I-4 in Altamonte Springs FL Email me for details***