• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hella versus Bosch headlights

cbgii

We have Bosch H4s in my wife's '76, but I have Hellas in my '75. Performance seems very similiar but I personally prefer the flat face on the Hellas. The Bosch units have a very slight convex face.

Don't know if this helps, but thought I'd throw it out there. (Note: The headlights in my wife's Pastellblau in the pic are her old Sylvania units).

Bob Napier

post-144-1366764619042_thumb.jpg

On my ’02 (with upgraded alternator and relays) I have fairly new Hella’s with 65/55w H4 (the more efficient Xenon ones from rallylights.com).

I just bought the Bosch headlights from busdepot.com with the 65/55's they provide. Someone recently highlighted them on this forum. I installed them in my 66 mustang (also upgraded alternator, relays and new wiring harness) and was astounded at the difference between the two… the age difference of the bulbs alone can’t make such a dramatic difference… they also had the better illumination distance. Note these are slightly different than the standard Bosch sold elsewhere… see the website for details. All that I know is I like it better and I still don’t have folks flashing at me, so the cutoff is still good.

I’m going to get them for my ’02. Thanks for reminding me, I was going to do that last week!

This was my recent experience between these two. Do a search, you will find tons of opinions between hella, bosch, cibie.

Rob

1966 Mustang vert - 5.0EFI/AOD & mods

1975 '02 - the typical upgrades (my 'new' car)

German--headlights. Cibie and Marchal have superior range and beam spread than do the German units--both IMHO and from car magazine tests that were done back in the day when halogen headlights were the newest thing.

I've been using Cibies for many years and love 'em.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I agree with Mike, I also have Cibie H4 lights in my 74 tii but then again, you can't beat this deal for 7" Bosch H4 headlights.

http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=0301600118

I previously had Hella H4 lights in my tii and I prefer the Cibie's over the Hella due to the light pattern. One issue, Cibie lights are not cheap.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

ON MY '02s I HAVE HAD H4 CARELLO , HELLA & BOSCH .

I LIKED THEM ALL !

ON THE ISETTAS I HAVE VINTAGE HELLAS WITH THE "V" FLUTE PATTERN .

THESE USE BILUX BULBS .

ON THE MESSERSCHMITTS , I HAVE HELLAS ON THE KR-200

AND A BEAUTIFUL SET OF NOS BOSHES THAT GO TO A GOGGOMOBIL .

THE FLUTE PATTERN ON THE BOSCH HAS A CENTER LENS MOLDED IN THAT LOOKS REALLY COOL . MORE BILUXES .

THE FREEWAY HAS A HELLA H4 EURO LIGHT WITH A BUILT IN RUNNING LIGHT .

I HAVE A 80/100 HIGH WATTAGE BULB IN THIS ONE .

( IF YOU ONLY HAVE ONE HEADLIGHT , BETTER MAKE IT COUNT )

MY E-30 CONVERTIBLE HAS A SET OF HELLA EURO SMILEYS , VERY COOL !

THESE ALSO HAVE THE RUNNING LIGHTS IN THEM .

THE OTHER CARS ? I DON''T EVEN KNOW , THEY'RE JUST LIGHTS .

post-2279-1366764621961_thumb.jpg

reodor.gif