• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

wurth silver lacquer for wheels? eastwood?

golf73

I can only muddy the waters and add that my original spare, now one of many I repainted (silver) appears to have been black and silver.  I admit I've only known this wheel since 1990, but the paint job was too good for a DIY repaint before I owned the car, IMHO.

OriginalSteelie1.jpg.18119447dd22a5e0b3156d0323935d9c.jpg

73 Inka Tii #2762958

3 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

I can only muddy the waters and add that my original spare, now one of many I repainted (silver) appears to have been black and silver.  I admit I've only known this wheel since 1990, but the paint job was too good for a DIY repaint before I owned the car, IMHO.

Hi Paul,

I can't imagine that your spare would be painted that way from the factory, in the Turbo steel wheel style, however nicely done, but who knows. From what I've gathered here, the earlier wheels were painted black all over, then silver was painted on the face side only.

My NOS 1973 Opel GT wheels were painted in the same fashion (with the blacked out portions on the face masked off when the silver was applied). I have a spare Kronprinz Opel GT wheel dated 10/72 and it has the same all black/silver front with black details. Not BMW wheels, but an interesting relation in the period steel wheel world.

I just looked again at my tii Kronny's and I was mistaken about the date code - I have 2 that are 11/71 and 2 that are 6/72. The 11/71 have been poorly brush-painted (!) silver all over, perhaps if I scraped off some of the paint I could try to find some black paint underneath. The 6/72 wheels I'm pretty sure have always been all silver. Going to experiment a little before i get them blasted - I'm toying with the idea of painting the area of the wheel a dark grey or satin black where the vent holes from the full wheel covers would show through. Always thought it might add a little pop. We'll see.

Ryan

Edited by golf73
  • Like 1

I sold my 11/68 2002, 1664169, five years ago.  I was the second owner and the car was parked in 1989 with a blown motor.  Don’t know if I have pics of backside but they were original.  All of the BMW greys seem to have a bit of blue/green in them, e.g. air cleaners.

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

18 hours ago, HBChris said:

I sold my 11/68 2002, 1664169, five years ago.  I was the second owner and the car was parked in 1989 with a blown motor.  Don’t know if I have pics of backside but they were original.  All of the BMW greys seem to have a bit of blue/green in them, e.g. air cleaners.

So maybe "full silver" wheels came along around Modell 71...

Edited by golf73

24 minutes ago, HBChris said:

Just to be clear I was referring to the backsides being dark, the whole wheel may have started that way but I don’t know.

24 minutes ago, HBChris said:

Just to be clear I was referring to the backsides being dark, the whole wheel may have started that way but I don’t know.

Clearly stated and understood, man! I think we're starting to see a pattern here, though, from the (early) 60's when lots of wheels may have had varying colors on the wheel face depending on body color, to when they stopped painting wheels in complementary body colors, transitioned to all silver or silver with black accents depending on wheel style, like ROstyle Opel GT wheels (MGB steel wheels being a good comparison from ~1970 onwards), and ease of application of another color. Weird thing is, is that for BMW, steel wheels were never complementary to body color that I've seen. Always outwardly silver. Perhaps black paint was to be had at a cheaper price point than silver...and at high volume it made a difference to the bean counters

Edited by golf73

15 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

You know I’m not buying this particular two-color-from-the-factory theory, Paul!  ?

Beginning with the introduction of the turbo in 1974, lots of ‘02 owners have given this two-color approach a whirl.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

1 hour ago, Conserv said:

You know I’m not buying this particular two-color-from-the-factory theory, Paul!  ?

I know, I know.  We've been down this road before.  :lol:  All I'm saying is the wheel was in the trunk from 1990 til not long ago and it looked like original paint.  No more mud in the water from me...

• Haha 1

73 Inka Tii #2762958

I just refinished 5 – Kronprinz wheels, all with a 2/72 date stamp. They came to me in varying states of rust and flaking paint and there was not a hint of black paint on the wheels.  It appeared to be the same silver paint all around.

After having the wheels sand-bIasted and filling the pitted areas with JB Weld, I had a local wheel shop prime, paint and clear coat with a matt finish.  They did not paint the backside so I bought the Wurth silver to finish the job, but did not apply a clear coat. The silver color looks the same as the front, but the Wurth without the clear coat is too “sparkly” in my opinion. I have included photos, but I’m not sure they effectively show the difference.

Tony

IMG_0502.thumb.JPG.af6e4dd331d155e1dcee31f52a19365e.JPG

IMG_0501.thumb.JPG.8061679d882f07def842d15e3f44eb82.JPG

Tony Garton

1972 2002tii

8 hours ago, Ensign said:

I just refinished 5 – Kronprinz wheels, all with a 2/72 date stamp. They came to me in varying states of rust and flaking paint and there was not a hint of black paint on the wheels.  It appeared to be the same silver paint all around.

After having the wheels sand-bIasted and filling the pitted areas with JB Weld, I had a local wheel shop prime, paint and clear coat with a matt finish.  They did not paint the backside so I bought the Wurth silver to finish the job, but did not apply a clear coat. The silver color looks the same as the front, but the Wurth without the clear coat is too “sparkly” in my opinion. I have included photos, but I’m not sure they effectively show the difference.

Tony

IMG_0502.thumb.JPG.af6e4dd331d155e1dcee31f52a19365e.JPG

IMG_0501.thumb.JPG.8061679d882f07def842d15e3f44eb82.JPG

Agreed, Tony:

The faces, with matte clearcoat, look fabulous, but the bare Wurth is more sparkly and metallic than the original.  Having seen the condition of these pre-refinishing, I will just add that these five rims were damned lucky to be adopted by you!

The crispness of the stamped markings is especially nice....

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)