• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speedometer advice, pls

I've read the FAQ on odometer repair, but before I go invasive, I'd like to get some advice.

I was recently under my dash tightening a loose ignition switch. Lucky me, it wasn't dead, just loose.

After that I went for a drive and noticed my speedo needle fluctuating +- 20mph. I confirm that the cable is working and secure at both ends. Odometer works fine.

Today, it's worse. The speedo needle sits around 0-10mph but the odometer seems to be recording proper distances.

QUESTION:

1. Is there any electrical (grounds) that I may have loosened while under the dash that could effect the speedo?

If it's totally mechanical, I guess I have to pull it.

Thanks,

Paul Winterton

Vancouver, Canada

73 Inca Tii

73 Inka Tii #2762958

What is the condition of your speedo cable? Might need some lube or replacing?

The needle movement is pretty sensitive and any debris inside can cause it to hang up. There shouldn't be any electrical interference, although on my E30 the speedo needle hated it when I would wipe the plastic cover for the guages. The static charge cuased the needles to go wonky.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

As I said, cable seems to be working properly. The odometer is recording correctly. Therefore I assume it is not the cable.

I can't help but think that I did something when I was under the dash. Maybe loosened an electrical connection.

Hence my question. Is there any electrical function associated with the speedo? Is it totally mechanical/magnetic?

Thanks,

Paul

73 Inka Tii #2762958

I'd pull the speedo ASAP. I didn't on mine and it continued to get worse until the needle started spinning around and snapped off.

I think the issue is typically inside the speedo. I'd send it in for repair. I'm sure you could tear into it as well. If you do take photos!

1968 BMW 1600 US VIN 1560713

manufactured on October 2nd, 1967

http://mybmw1600-2.blogspot.com/

Its your cable. Its either old and needs to be lubed, or replaced....It can also be the gauge itself. I bought a set of gauges and the speedo did this. I swapped my speedo into the gauge pod and it worked fine. I started having fluctuations on a road trip...Just like you said except only over 70 MPH. I got some wd40 and sprayed it down the cable...drove a few days and the fluctuation stopped...I would lube the cable first...then go from there. There are no electrical connections that affect the speedo that I know of. I would also reseat the speedo cable and make sure its on perfectly. I hear they can be pretty finicky.

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

Thanks for that. I'll do the cable this afternoon while I do an oil change. Easy to inspect at transmission.

Crossing my fingers.

I still think it is internal, as the odometer seems accurate, even though the speedo needle has virtually stopped moving.

For interest, I'll post my results. I hope their positive.

Thanks again.

Paul

73 Inka Tii #2762958

you upset the cable when you first went digging

arounf the ignition switch

the cable must be tension free, no stress

on the outer tube, or the inner cable.

if you pulled it in anyway pulling the cluster,

you may have stretched the outer tube which

in effect lengthens it and not the inner cable.

Any sharp bends or stretching of the cable

will cause uneven speedo operation

plan on buying a new cable and being carefull

installing it - tension free

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

I inspected the cable thoroughly. I don't believe there is anything wrong with it. I even roadtested with the guage end open. cable turns freely, consistently, and strongly.

Speedo RE & RE:

I have the speedo open as in the photos from a previous post:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,334164/highlight,speedometer/

I don't understand the process described. The "magnet wheel" appears to be a collar that sits in the shaft housing. Whether it is supposed to be loose or firm, I'm not sure. All other components seem intact and firm.

Any input here would be VERY WELCOME.

Thanks,

Paul Winterton

Vancouver, Canada

73 INca Tii

73 Inka Tii #2762958

needle; took me awhile to track the problem down--it wasn't the cable, but the two magnets inside the speedo. I did a column on how to repair; drop me an e-mail and I'll send you a copy.

Cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite