• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

no center console

cluna

1 hour ago, cagedbunny said:

Those of you with a late-model car.. what are you using for a shift boot?  My '76 doesn't have the metal ring on the trans tunnel like my '71 did, so nothing to attach the factory-style boot to.

The consoles on later cars were longer and extended very near the handbrake handle button..There is a shifter surround that has a square raised flange, the square rubber or leather/vinyl shift boot fastens to which is screwed to the sides of the legs of the longer console to lock the surround in place.          Cover for lever manual transmission 1971 up  

I appreciate the reply, however; the topic of this thread is “no center console” 😄

I’ve seen a few instances of cutting the shift boot ring from an earlier car and welding it to the late tunnel.  Looking for another solution if someone has found an off-the-shelf solution.  

I haven't tried it but you might consider using a external ring ala American cars, do a search for shift boot retainer and there's a whole bunch to pick from.

• Thanks 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

1 hour ago, cagedbunny said:

I’ve seen a few instances of cutting the shift boot ring from an earlier car and welding it to the late tunnel.

For something as this, pop rivets to the tunnel should be good enough.

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

17 hours ago, cagedbunny said:

I appreciate the reply, however; the topic of this thread is “no center console” 😄

I’ve seen a few instances of cutting the shift boot ring from an earlier car and welding it to the late tunnel.  Looking for another solution if someone has found an off-the-shelf solution.  

You`re welcome