• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 engine swap

Tomasso

Hello all, I'm a new 2002 owner after twenty years of waiting. I bought a 72 2002 touring A/T which is complete, running well and really sweet... But you all know the automatic is a dog at slow speeds, still sweet to drive and road trip with, despite the poor mileage. Ive had a couple of E30's before and liked those cars too.

Has any one considered a GM Ecotec engine, from a Saturn Sky roadster. Lots of sweet options on that engine, launch controll, no lift shift, turbo and its cheap.

Tomas G.

Minneapolis, MN

72 2002 Touring

I like the idea of you using the GM engine, but I have a twist.

1. Sell me your touring.

2. Buy a Pontiac Fiero.

3. Paint a flaming chicken on the hood.

4. Throw all the Saturn parts you can find at it.

5. Take pics of your Ecotec motor swapped Fiero and post them here.

6. I'll take pics of the triple weber m20 I'd throw in the touring and post them here.

7. Email me if you are interested.

Of course I am kidding. Congrats on the new car!

69' 1600 Satin Black/Orange heavy street mod

74' 2002 Chamonix Automatic

03' e46 Alpine White daily driver

I always had my eye on the 2002 but never even thought that there would be a touring version with A/T and a cush ride. it was always the Turbo with the graphics, and power. So now I have a 2002 and its a touring, and am wondering if the touring is an oddity.

Tomas G.

Minneapolis, MN

72 2002 Touring

Typcially the non-BMW swaps that get mentioned are the 12a/13b and SR20DET. The ecotec 4 is a pretty good solid engine, it would make a sweet DD, but I have to wonder about the same issues most "modern" engine swaps have. Is it a standalone engine ECU or does it tie into other car equipment? How bad would the electrical be? The issue with OBDII engines isn't so much physically fitting it in the car as moving the electronics over to a platform that wasn't originally setup for them.

73 Sahara

76 S52 swap of dooooooooom

01 540i-6

90 Range Rover classic (because 02s just weren't masochistic enough)

Hello all, I'm a new 2002 owner after twenty years of waiting. I bought a 72 2002 touring A/T which is complete, running well and really sweet... But you all know the automatic is a dog at slow speeds, still sweet to drive and road trip with, despite the poor mileage. Ive had a couple of E30's before and liked those cars too.

Has any one considered a GM Ecotec engine, from a Saturn Sky roadster. Lots of sweet options on that engine, launch controll, no lift shift, turbo and its cheap.

You may want to reconsider. Less than a 1000 Touring Autos were made, and, you may well have the only one in the US.

Email me your VIN (use email button above) and I'll add you to my list of Touring owners.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

I wish I was the one to buy that touring... I got a nice '76 that got me into these lovely cars a touring is next! Good luck with your new car man!!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Sell the Touring, go buy a 76 out of CA and modify to your hearts content.

The money you will have at the end of said transaction can go towards the swap. You will also be able to sell the motor, trans, diff, driveshaft and other parts you will have to remove to do the swap.

Much better option IMO considering that the Touring will be worth pennies on the dollar after carving it up.

1972 Tii

1997 Land Rover Defender LE #127

• 9 years later...