• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replica Silver Emission Decals

Tried them already. Apparently they are called "VIN/DATE EPA emission" decals. Known to many in our community as "metallic fish scale" decals. They were designed to come apart if they were removed. The design of these decals was required from the U.S. EPA to prevent tampering with emission requirements for specific models and their year of manufacture. So suffice it to say I'm probably SOL if no one has replicated them. If this is the case I will probably get a digital photo of one from one of my many parts cars and begin trying to have them replicated myself. But if there is anyone out there that does know of a source I would greatly appreciate it.

76scott02. Thanks for the offer. I'll get a few photos together and send them on to you. One thing I did notice tonight when I was out looking at my parts cars was the early cars have these decals. I have a 74 02 that has a black one that is not a "fish scale" decal. Last night I saw one on ebay for "buy it now" for 5.95. My other cars had them missing. So I am not sure what year they ended this type of decal. If anyone has later cars than my early 71 let me know the year if it had a metallic fish scale decal. I do know 2002 and tii are different copy on decal.

I would be more than willing to take pictures of my original sticker on my 76 for you guys. It's in very good condition. Drop me an email if you would like pictures.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

• 1 year later...

I know this was over a year ago when I originally posted this but I am finally going to try and have these replicated. If anyone has a really nice condition 70 and 71 decal they can photograph and email to me with the dimensions of size I'm going to go ahead and replicate them for the different years. I believe these particular ones were only on the early cars prior to mid 71. Could be mistaken but have not seen them on anything later. They seem to have changed when the 12 fuse and long bumpers came into play. Let me know if their are similar ones on later cars. To the gent who offered up the artwork I may take you up on it. AG alfa2002GTV6@yahoo.com

You've got my interest piqued. I know of more than a few cars/owners that would be interested in these, including my Dad, my cousin Matt., and the owner of 2760001. The emissions stickers are different for each year and model 2002 or Tii but only in the year stamp and timing specs. The VIN door stickers have to be stamped with the production month/year as 10/71 and the VIN of course.

What we need are good example pictures so that the artwork can be drawn up. The next hard part is the sticker itself. I have an acquaintance that 15+ years ago had very very close looking silver stickers printed up, and then had to hand stamp the fish scales... I'll see if I can tae a few example pictures, but we need as many good ones as possible. I'll forward this thread to him and another acquaintance that is in the graphic arts to see if they have any input.

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20