• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone here the high bidder?

adawil2002

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

one wonders why an original 18000 mile car needed new fenders...

and why it got its exhaust from u weld it.

pretty, tho.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I know that some folks go gaga over Verona, and tii with a non-snorkel nose, and a car that they perceive as "correct," unmolested and "honest," but the fact that it went for $14.5k with an incredibly short description, mediocre photography, a single photograph of the underside of the car, evidence of replaced front fenders (no side marker lights), evidence of work in the trunk (all that black), visibly uneven door gaps, unknown mileage, and no a/c astonishes me. That's not a criticism -- I'm just surprised.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

I know that some folks go gaga over Verona, and tii with a non-snorkel nose, and a car that they perceive as "correct," unmolested and "honest," but the fact that it went for $14.5k with an incredibly short description, mediocre photography, a single photograph of the underside of the car, evidence of replaced front fenders (no side marker lights), evidence of work in the trunk (all that black), visibly uneven door gaps, unknown mileage, and no a/c astonishes me. That's not a criticism -- I'm just surprised.

finally after years of reading the reviews here, on cars for sale i'm convinced that no car is worth the asking price and is far far from being an acceptable candidate for purchase...if it's not one nitpicking thing, it's another

i speculate that if you bought an o2 new and parked it in the wrong place, on the wrong surface that rust "might" be a problem...i speculate that that rust could possible necessitate new fenders, rocker, and other close to ground metal...

owner discretion of how various parts of the car are finished (the trunk for example) don't necessarily indicate anythings being hidden or there's any monkey business

i read the description of the red car several times and i just don't see where the seller represented it as a perfect car or a concours car...the seller simply represented it as a nice car

sometimes, i get flashes of penis envy amongst the majority here and human nature always prevails...ie, it's easier to be critical

i liked the car a lot and aside from some things i might change or try to adjust, found it to be a nice car at a fair price...one i'd be proud to drive and show...someone, not among us, got a nice car

Esty, I agree with you (except for the penis envy part :^).

But my intent wasn't to trash anything or anyone. I'm just expressing surprise that it went that high with that little descriptive information.

This particular sale does seem to reinforce this trend on eBay where less is more -- where sparse, general descriptions are used to keep the seller out of trouble, and if a seller doesn't say "no rust," or "doesn't smoke, burn, or drip oil," or "doesn't munch second gear," he/she can't be taken to task on the car not being as advertised.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

There's no reason to rattle-can paint the trunk black (with lots of overspray all over the wiring harnesses to boot) unless you're trying to hide lots of surface rust or something. Also for that price (and with an antenna on the A-pillar) I'd appreciate the radio not being mysteriously missing. The strut spacers are removed but he just put them up top rather than buying the correct-length studs or new upper strut bearings, that's fine but probably not $14.5K fine, neither is the huge crack through the dash. It's a nice car but for $14.5K I'd expect to have none of those issues, I mean, if the dash is cracked, replace or repair it. Of course I don't think that 02's should be worth as much as some people pay, definitely not more than $15K or so and that should be for the top end of the spectrum. Ah well.

I posted on the original thread for this car.

But from where I sit I think that the seller had a strong EBAY sell history and has sold other cars to buyers who gave back excellent feedback.

I was very tempted to bid from my home here in NJ w/o seeing or driving this car. It had all that I am looking for (except INKA).

But I truely appreciate those here that can review a car from pictures and give constructive observation.

....that last point was meant as a compliment!

-mpkwy

CARS:Past

1966 VW Bug

1971 2002 (BOUGHT IN 1972) (totaled, back in my sordid youth)

1975 2002 (mntgrun (sold)

1973 2002 (Sahara, unmolested, Sold, sniff-sniff)

asst Honda accords and Outbacks

Current:

06 Outback

04 Camry

i'm convinced that no car is worth the asking price and is far far from being an acceptable candidate for purchase...

heh- I agree with you, Esty- they're all overpriced!

I'm actually with Mike- that pushes up what I think the early cars are worth,

since 'perfect' cars won't sell at 20k- and it's so easy to spend 5k making

a 'pretty' car 'perfect'.

But then, if the buyer inspected it first, it's probably a solid car.

It DOES look nice, if you like red.

Me, I'd just be scared of spending that kind of money over the phone, is all..

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Me, I'd just be scared of spending that kind of money over the phone, is all..

i've bought several cars on ebay and so far have been very lucky...i always got what was expected and all surprises were welcomed...all but one, steve or i actually flew or bus'd in to see the car before counting the cash & driving them home...steve drove to illinois to trailer one back that i bought a few years ago, and came home empty handed but better off without it

most buyer that pay a fair price for a car surely have the good judgment to at least see and drive the car beforehand, i'm sure...those who don't have no legitimate right to gripe if they find mice in the radiator...

finally after years of reading the reviews here, on cars for sale i'm convinced that no car is worth the asking price and is far far from being an acceptable candidate for purchase...if it's not one nitpicking thing, it's another

I am with you. I thought that car was pretty nice too but I didn't pick up on as much as Rob did.

People, get used to it. The dollar is not worth crap so nice 2002s are going for $15k these days. Really nice cars are going to top $20k. Considering you can't take a beater and make it really nice for under $15k unless you have tons of time and talent, that is not unreasonable.

We had a thread on here last year where many '02 addicts, myself included, admitted they had well over $15k in their cars. Well I for one am happy that nice looking cars with stories are going for $15k. Maybe when a nice GTV or Elan wiggles its way into my heart I will be able to recover some of what I have spent. (Note I did not use the term "invest")

s.jpgp.jpgx.jpgh.jpgm.jpg

BMW Lotus Healey Miata x 2