• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake drum painting?

Napes

I just got some new Brembo brake drums and they are very pretty. Is there a DIY way to keep looking so nice? Can they be sprayed with a rattle-can Hi-Temp clear? Is there such paint at auto parts stores? Will it adhere, considering there would be no primer on the bare metal?

Thanks for any answers and/or other suggestions.

Bob Napier

i'm assuming they would be the same as painting the front calipers. any of the big auto stores would have brake caliper paint. i did this to my bbk calipers as they started to have minor surface rust, not sure about the drums though but probably same could happen

+ 1

I painted mine with caliper paint (I may have done a topcoat with high-temp paint).

Or, you could try this:

VHT Clear Caliper Paint

can0003caliperpaint.gif

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

Couple of years ago on installing new drums following a 320i 250mm upgrade , I had a can of cast gray rattle can paint on the shelf, and painted the drums with that. The paint has held up extremely well.

Earl

74 02Lux

02 M Roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

Thanks, all. I've ordered a can of the VHT that Clay had a link to and I'll post results of using it.

Last time I replaced the drums (probably 12 yrs. ago) I had a home set-up for powder coating, baking the drums in an old oven, and it's held really well. They still look very nice - black. But, alas, I no longer have the powder spray equipment after all these years, so I'll go with the clear caliper/drum spray and see how that works out.

Bob Napier

black from the factory. However, most replacement drums you get now are a light primer grey. I did my new ones with krylon semi-gloss black over the original grey and that's been holding up very well for 4-5 years.

Unless you're tracking the car or something is seriously wrong with your brake bias, the rear brakes don't get that hot in normal use. If they do, you have a dragging brake shoe or two.

Another interesting ananomoly: OEM drums have an "as cast" finish everywhere on the outside except the mating surface where it touches the wheel, but replacement drums are all machined on the outside. Wonder why....

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

The Brembo drums I purchased are machined on the outside and are very pretty, which is why I'm going to try going with high temp caliper clear initially. If it does not work out, I can always sand them down lightly and go with a high temp black.

Bob Napier

I've used Hammerite in past, and it does a good job of resisting heat

and yet not looking too glossy...

OEM drums have an "as cast" finish everywhere on the outside except the mating surface where it touches the wheel, but replacement drums are all machined on the outside. Wonder why....

because the 'as cast' appearance has gotten frightening... and they'd

rather not display that. A cnc lathe is so fast, clean it up and move on...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Make sure you clean them well. I used vht clear, and it yellowed after a few years. After that i went to aluminum color caliper paint, which seems to be holding up well after 4 or 5 years. btw, they're brembo drums.

Good luck,

bob

71 2002

85 M635

89 327is

98 M3