• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Michelin XAS on 2002 Steel Wheels?

UroTrash

New guy here, just bought a 2002!

Quick question.

Since it is impossible to get Michelin XZX tires now, I'm thinking of getting these XAS tires from coker:

http://store.cokertire.com/165hr13-michelin-xas-ff.html

Question: can you use tube type tires like these (with tubes of course) on 2002 steel wheels? Is it safe? Is the rim edge compatable with these tires?

Thanks Fellas!!!

:)

1970 Nevada 2002 Survivor

1975 Golf 2002 Project

1972 Atlantik 2002tii

I peeled a couple of these off my barn find 2002 last month. Yes..they had tubes in them. I can't imagine myself spending $1000/set on vintage correct tires for my own 2002s though. Wow.

paul

post-19769-13667640940678_thumb.jpg

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

when i bought my 74 Automatic it still has its 4 XAS on its original rims, and the spare too.

the steel belts of the spare rusted out and the tire expanded in the cavity, i had to sawzall the tire to get it out of there lol...

try the Vredestein sprint. Less expensive.

http://store.cokertire.com/tire-brands/cars-trucks/vredestein/165r13-vredestein-sprint.html

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel

I think my 76 wish original XAS's were Tubeless, I still have them in the barn for special occasions!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

(69 & 73) were tube type. Later XASs were tubeless, but the rims will accept either so long as the mating surfaces where the tire bead meets the rim are clean and not rusty. Too much rust/scale and tubeless tires won't seal properly.

XASs were THE tire back in the day. They howled like banshees cornering, but had great grip and with 'em you didn't need snow tires.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite