• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jumping in head first!

JJ74

After looking at these cars for years, I have put a deposit down on an out of state 73tii that has been garaged for the past 20 years. I am going to have it shipped to me and would like to have it gone through by a local mechanic. I was wondering if someone here can look up the Vin to tell me what the original color was, as it is painted black currently (not original). The vin is 2763649. I am also looking for a mechanic in Atlanta, GA who is experienced in working on 02's. I am sure that there are board members from GA and I would like to know who works on their cars, other than themselves of course.

Thanks!

Jon

almost two months to get your new acquisition ready for a drive to Vintage at Winston Salem. Last year there were over 100 2002s at the event.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

........ and hold all questions untill that mechanic

has written a comprehensive - To Do List -

please include photos

your either in for a MONEY PIT, or a surprising

unmolested car that needs the normal

20-year post-storage resurection -

and add make-up maintanence from the pre-storage

neglect

just sayin

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

73tii...The vin is 2763649.

Congratulations! This is absolutely amazing to me.

Vern's VIN is 2763648, Your car was made March 20th 1973, probably delivered to Hoffman's in NYC March 23, 1973. Vern's original color was and is Verona.

Send andreas.harz@partner.bmwgroup.com the VIN or fill out the form at www.bmw-grouparchives.com, you will receive an e-mail in 3-4 days with the manufacture & delivery dates and original color.

Look here for a mechanic www.bimrs.org

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

73tii...The vin is 2763649.

Congratulations! This is absolutely amazing to me.

Vern's VIN is 2763648, Your car was made March 20th 1973, probably delivered to Hoffman's in NYC March 23, 1973. Vern's original color was and is Verona.

Send andreas.harz@partner.bmwgroup.com the VIN or fill out the form at www.bmw-grouparchives.com, you will receive an e-mail in 3-4 days with the manufacture & delivery dates and original color.

Look here for a mechanic www.bimrs.org

This is way cool.

After looking at these cars for years, I have put a deposit down on an out of state 73tii that has been garaged for the past 20 years. I am going to have it shipped to me and would like to have it gone through by a local mechanic. I was wondering if someone here can look up the Vin to tell me what the original color was, as it is painted black currently (not original). The vin is 2763649. I am also looking for a mechanic in Atlanta, GA who is experienced in working on 02's. I am sure that there are board members from GA and I would like to know who works on their cars, other than themselves of course.

Thanks!

Jon

Bavarian Motor Sports Ltd

320 Sharon Industrial Way, Suwanee, GA 30024-2252 (770) 932-1225 ‎ harold audauer. awesome guy. ask about his infamous full race bavaria, which has humbled many. harold used to be a terror at road atlanta.

Ken Inn

I'll second the word for Bavarian Motorsports in Suawnee. Give Harold a call.

Welcome to the 02' tii world. I have # 2763406 that was produced in February 1973. Let me know if you want to caravan to the Vintage.

Regards,

Garry

03' Mini Cooper S

73 2002tii A4 (sold )

67 Mini Coooper S (sold 3/06)

i still remember the video of harold at gateway tech. pete mchenry filmed harold sucking the doors off a firehawk m3 at road atlanta. then there was harold and billy revis(2002/s14) at roebling. they were invited there by the porsche club. they lapped the pack, got black flagged off the track, and were invited by the porsche club to never come back.

Ken Inn

Thank you all for the advice! I have booked a flight to go see the car in person. We will be taking the car to a mechanic in the area to get it on a lift and get the status of the vehicle/needed repairs. I have also arranged for the car to be delivered to Harold at Bavarian Motorsports per the recommendations here, pending the inspection. I had a great conversation with him today, what a nice guy. I'll keep my fingers crossed that everything checks out and I have the car back home next week! It would be awesome to have a car ready for Vintage!

Thanks again,

Jon

Please keep us posted and post pics of what you find, I'm very interested, since your soon to be car, was directly behind Vern on the assembly line.

Regards,

Andrew Wilson

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Please keep us posted and post pics of what you find, I'm very interested, since your soon to be car, was directly behind Vern on the assembly line.

Regards,

Andrew Wilson

Just got the email back from BMW and:

Thank you for your email.

The BMW 2002 tii US VIN 2763649 was manufactured on March 20th, 1973 and delivered on March 23rd, 1793 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Ceylon metallic, paint code 008.

We hope this information is helpful for you.

Yours sincerely,

Christina Hartung

------------------------------------------------------------------------

WAY GmbH

Christina Hartung

Leopoldstraße 244

80807 München

Url.: http://www.way-services.com/

I now have some more detailed information on the car.

Pluses (some subjective)

Recaros

5 speed conversion

LSD

Wheels

all installed from his brothers old 320i years ago.

No cracks in dash (it is a 1 piece, not 3)

Original front clip (no snorkel hole)

Behr A/C (needs new hoses which are there just not installed)

The not so good

Some body panels were replaced long ago because of rust ( both front fenders, the sunroof, rear panel, trunk lid and both doors. Trunk lid is 74+ with the roundel on it.

There is some rust in the spare tire well but no perforation.

The car was originally Ceylon gold but has been painted white and then black. Both paint jobs appear to be pretty tragic.

It is missing the headliner and front bumper over riders.

That's all I have for now and am going to see the car in person. They are asking 6500.00 for the car and will not budge on this price.

If there is no other rust on the car and the engine doesn't need a complete rebuild, the price seems fair although I have nothing to really compare it to other than ebay prices which are astronomical these days.

Here are the pictures that I have so far.

[/img]P1010004a>

a>

a>

a>

a>

a>

a>

a>

a>

Your opinions and comments are appreciated!

Thanks,

Jon