14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

Black Gauge cluster for my 76.....

jrhone

So one thing that always kinda bothered me about the 74-76 cars was the faux wood gauge cluster. I never understood it. So I bought a clean older cluster. Popped it on the car and realized the speedo was not working. So I decided to pull the speedo out of my 76 cluster and pop it into the old cluster. Fit without an issue and works great. Its interesting that the new gauges have the lines on them while the old ones are just black...I guess this is a hybrid....Speedo has lines in the center...other gauges dont....Sometimes its the little things....

web.jpg

someone will correct me if i'm wrong but there were the silver dollar gauges in the early cars, the 73 had the all black gauges, like your 2 outside gauges, without the cross hairs...74-76 had all cross hair gauges like your speedo

Guest Anonymous

If the miss-match bothers you, I think it would be pretty simple to pop in a functional 71-73 speedo. They show up on parts for sale forum all the time.

BTW, I did kind of the same thing on my '76: switched to the silver dollar instruments. Got a speedo from an old 1600, the other gauges from an early '02. Some of the indicator lights didn't work, so I brought back my '76 fuel/temp gauge and screwed on the silver dollar face.

Hugh

After you "pop off" the faux wood veneer, cannibalize an earlier cluster for the glass locking rings and then mount the crosshair instruments back in, this is what you get. macitz AT Gmail doT com.

mac.

post-1795-13667638783842_thumb.jpg

As another possible solution for the cross hairs, if the difference is not something you want to live with, would be to get some white pin-stripe press on tape and add it to the outside guages.

It's possible only the terminally-anal would notice the way they are now, with the exception, of course, of yourself.

Bob Napier

I never liked the fake wood either, it seems so out of place. I sanded mine off and worked it down to a 100 grit for a nice black finish. I also put in some chrome gauge rings and colored the needles red.

It makes my 02 go way faster ;)

Nice looking setup! Where did you get the rings?

• 1 month later...

I found your thread looking for instructions on how to get the glass out of the cluster. Maybe it was just a long day, but i can't figure out how to remove the aluminum retaining rings on the backside of the glass without going nuts on them and risk mangling the retainer ring or breaking the glass. What's your secret?

Mike

76 Malaga (Molly)