• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002ti<----Worth the plunge

Cyclone101

Hey guys,

I just found an original 2002 ti for sale near me for little money, the problem is, its has no engine, but the rest is complete, it also has a bit of rust but not in the strut towers or frame rails.

What i want to know is, is a ti worth as much as a tii for instance? I dont want to build it up if i would have been better off with a tii. Also, how hard is it to source a 121ti head?

I know im not gona get my money back if i sell, but i would like to loose less if i have to sell some day...

Thanx in advance

Jacques

'71 2002 Malaga, fun weekender

'70 2002ti Colorado, Restoration/money pit

'74 2002 turbo in my dreams, sideways...

The 121 head should not be an issue.

A real ti would be worth more than a regular 02. I would suspect, properly restored, that a ti would be worth more than a tii as there were fewer ti's made. It won't be worth more than a Turbo or cabrio, so keep that in mind if you are going to rescue a rust-bucket.

Verify the serial number is a true ti.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

As the others have said, please let us know the VIN #, color, sunroof, etc.

ti vs tii, tough to say. The ti is very rare, and so that would be an issue in determining value, but in reality, I would think the level of restoration and quality of work would make the most difference.

The buyer of a ti would probably be someone who appreciates it for it's rarity.

vince

Pound for pound (exactly the same level of restoration or originality) a Ti is worth less than a roundie Tii--no question......

The market for 02s is strongest, and always will be, where the "gold" is.... in the USA. To the hardcore true enthusiast (the type on this board) the ti may be more desirable given the rarity, but the folks on this board are not the type who pay top dollar for their cars.

The wealthy moderate enthusiast that IS willing to pay top dollar for a car will value a tii more....it has the cachet and "the one to have" reputation. A ti doesn't mean a lot to these guys.....as these were never imported into the US and there is no familiarity. Rarity without familiarity puts valuation in a grey area.

Of course all this assumes a global marketplace......in markets where the ti has some history (ie South Africa) it may fetch more, but in the global market a tii beats a ti for value anyday.

I have sold both......both went to the USA and a tii garners for more interest from serious buyers with cash they are willing to spend. The ti generated a lot of interest, comments and discussion, but talk is cheap.

Thanks to all for your replies. You guy are always an invaluble source.

Im going to have a look at the car this weekend and wil certainly report back on my findings. It seems to be a true ti chassis, but dont have the vin on me, so will post it when i do.

I do agree from my research so far, that the tii is more popular in the US, but in europe it seems to be that the historic racers(mostly ti) fetch the top dollar(or euro rather :D).

The owner has 2 ti's, so ill also ask him for the vin of his other car as you would probably ant that vince.

Thanx again

Regards

Jacques

Hey guys,

Just an update, I am the new owner of a 2002 ti!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Admittidly in a crude condition, but it is mine.

The chassis no. is: 1691398. The original colour is colorado, but it is verona atm. But i will restore it back to its original colour.

The car has rust everywhere and is in dire need of restoration, but I just couldnt let this chassis rust away.

Oh, and, i did get an engine with it. It has all the ti goodies on(intake, exhaust, dizzy) but the thing that bithers me is that the numbers doesnt match and the head says "121T" not "121Ti". Has anybody ever seen that?

I will post pix bit later.

Ragards,

Jacques van Staden

Edward, interesting comments. It sounds like the voice of experience. I have yet to meet someone on the street who understands the difference between a ti and a tii. Present company and 02 meets excluded of course. Only the true cognoscenti get it.

Professionals are predictable; it's the amateurs you have to watch out for, you never know what they are gonna do!

Murphy was a Grunt

Congratulations, and welcome to the ti club. I'm sure you'll be hearing from a few members here on the forum who also have an original ti.

Vince - the keeper of the lists, his is GREEN

Pierre - Granada

Z (Bill) - also Granada

Tony - oddly enough, Granada

Jon (me) - also Granada

Its nice to hear of a ti that is NOT Granada!!!

I'm sure I'm forgetting somebody, but these are the regulars.

Please let me know if I can help with photos or anything.

best regards,

Jon Poole

toront02fest at hotmail dot com

Hey guys,

Just an update, I am the new owner of a 2002 ti!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Admittidly in a crude condition, but it is mine.

The chassis no. is: 1691398. The original colour is colorado, but it is verona atm. But i will restore it back to its original colour.

The car has rust everywhere and is in dire need of restoration, but I just couldnt let this chassis rust away.

Oh, and, i did get an engine with it. It has all the ti goodies on(intake, exhaust, dizzy) but the thing that bithers me is that the numbers doesnt match and the head says "121T" not "121Ti". Has anybody ever seen that?

I will post pix bit later.

Ragards,

Jacques van Staden

check the engine block number and report back. if it starts with 168 or 169 you'll know that at least it came from a ti. as for the head being a 121t, you know that you've got either bathtub pistons or flat tops underneath. as far as i know, the 121, 121t, 121ti heads are essentially the same. perhaps they increase the exhaust valve size on ti variants, but i do not know for sure.

oh, and congratulations. i like to see folks save cars from returning to the earth, especially semi-rare ones. several years ago i was offered a complete ti for $800 but i had to export it from canada and it was not registered and the winter snows were approaching. i regret not getting that car. oh well....

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Thank you all for your input! I am Super excited about this car.

Unfortunately my cars engine is in the previous owners ti, but would like to trade it back once this engine is overhauled, and the block i have now is not from a Ti, but the 121t head is unknown to me.

I will keep you guys updated as the build continues.

You guys rock

Regards

Jacques

Unfortunately my cars engine is in the previous owners ti, but would like to trade it back once this engine is overhauled, and the block i have now is not from a Ti, but the 121t head is unknown to me.

either, offer to rebuild your engine and exchange it for the original engine or offer to BUY his current car.

tough decision as to whether to wait until you've restored your ti shell first or make the offer now.

but i'd sure as heck want the original engine in a VERY BAD way....

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

1) GET that engine, if the guy with it wants something special, there's a few nice Ti engines in a bevy o' TiLux cars a friend here in Colorado just picked up. Her's also got all the Ti-specific bits that were common in the NK and 2002Ti's. Feel free to e-mail and I'll put you two together.

------------------------

why list 'em...they're all projects anyways!

The guy i got the car from is a real nice guy, and I dont think he would mind if I swap him a recoditiond engine for his. I suspect that engine has a 300' bmw cam in it. And he wants more bottom end anyway, so it shouldnt be hard to convince him.

But hs car is a Ti replica, so i dont want another 2002, mabe a tii, then ive got a collection :D

He didnt want the ti as it is a leftie and in SA we drive RHD cars.

Regards

Jacques