• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what would it take to get a 2002 to tii performance levels

what?

Im looking at buying a 2002, and it seems that unless you do a full rebuild the tii will be quicker than the base model? even with a cam?

Is this correct?

Also can someone recomend a reputable workshop in Melbourne to do a pre-purchase inspection?

Basically im asking what would you do 2002tii or a 2002+$4,000.00 in mods?

Im leaning towards the tii even though i will eventually modify the car in some way in the future.

Mods, hands down. You can easily tune a carb for a bigger cam etc. I believe it is harder to tune a Tii for big cams etc.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

A carby 2002 plus:

--Dual DCOE 40's, intake manifolds, linkage, filters, water bypass kit, Bavaria fuel pump--NEW, about $1500 all in.

See Racetep.com for the DCOEs, intake manifolds, linkage, filters, water bypass kit.

See Blunttech.com for the Bavaria fuel pump.

--Ireland Engineering stainless exhaust, header to tailpipe--NEW, about $600.

See bmw2002.com for the exhaust.

--Electronic ignition kit--MSD 6AL is probably overkill, so it should be perfect for what you're trying to do. Get a Pertronix or Crane optical sensor. You can see some substantial gains for under $350.

--upgraded cam, ported head, larger valves, etc.--$1500?

That's about $4k. You'll end up with about 140-160 hp (assuming your car doesn't need any other maintenance, upgrades or fixes.)

Alternatively, for $4k you could go with an electronic fuel injection, and get a lot more than 140 hp. Then again, you could go with a turbo, and again, you'll get more than 140 hp. You'll have to use the Forum Search function, and see what's been done with EFI and turbos in the Projects section. Loads of great info on all three setups here on the FAQ. Good luck, and keep us up to speed with your project.

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

im actually looking at a 2002tii that has a 5speed retrofitted.

Unfortunately im not able to complete all the work apart from routine maintenance, so id have to add in the price of labour. Plus im in Australia so id need to add the cost of shipping OS

the base model has a lower compression ratio, that will require new pistons (basicaly a rebuild) to put on a level playing field or is that not a problem?

shaving the heads would not increase it enough?

whilst on that can you increase the compression on a tii by shaving the head without upsetting the injection?

A Carbed 2002 with mods....You can have more fun and you dont have to worry about the mods having a negative effect on the value of a Tii...

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

I have a 1973 tii with a pretty worn out engine and a 1974 2002 non tii with a 292 cam in a fresh engine. The tii feels faster. I just like driving the tii better unless you are going with dual with a cam get the tii. I really don't mind not being able to mod the tii. it is fast enough, put the money in the suspension.

Ceylon 1973 2002tii 2762669

1972 Austin Mini 1275 traded

1970 Barracuda Convertible

1974 Schwarz 2002

1955 Chevy Bel Air 2 Dr Hardtop

all the itb kits ive seen have been fitted with an aftermarket EFI system, do you have any info on setting them up on a kugelfischer?

is there any australians on here who could help me out with the rough price of a high comp rebuild for the 2002? to hit about 150hp

what could be done to gain 10-20hp from a tii without upsetting the kugelfischer? would a shaved head, better valvetrain gear (for more revs) better air intake and a cat back exhaust give me that?

is there anywhere that lists the gear ratios for the latter 5 speed?

i want to stick the figures into a calculator to do a little working out.

all the itb kits ive seen have been fitted with an aftermarket EFI system, do you have any info on setting them up on a kugelfischer?

is there any australians on here who could help me out with the rough price of a high comp rebuild for the 2002? to hit about 150hp

what could be done to gain 10-20hp from a tii without upsetting the kugelfischer? would a shaved head, better valvetrain gear (for more revs) better air intake and a cat back exhaust give me that?

You can boost the horsepower of a tii by changing the cam to a 292. Change the air box to a free flowing unit and you will get another 15 hp. Just keep in mind that you will lose bottom end torque. The stock exhaust is plenty fine.

The ratios for the 4-speed and 5-speed are the same. The 5-speed has an extra overdrive gear.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

Hi What?,

Where in Melbourne are you based? Theres a group of us in Melbourne and im sure between us we can put you onto anyone or any part you'll need. Shoot me off an email if you'd like.

I also can assist with someone to do an inspection (Eastern suburbs), however he is quite busy, but hes the only one I trust with my car if I don't do it.

Cheers,

Tom

6780296635_13fa58faa3_b.jpg

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

The kugelfischer is mechanical and from research its best left in its OE environment but can cope with slight mods. If you go upping the cam and compression too much, you'll need to modify the pump to suit, naturally increasing $ spent.

Also, Australia is the land of quality engine management. Motec and Autronic are on your doorstep. Megasquirt is at one end of the market, Motec and Autronic is at the other. There are lots in between.

Yes - email me

Have you driven both tii and carb'd 02's before?

What will you be using the car for? Weekend driver, daily, track?

The tii is rarer and there are far fewer around - If all you want to do is moodify the car, you'll probably get sick of the limiting kugelfischer and end up ripping it out anyway. Start with a carb'd car and then you wont have to worry about wrecking possibly a nice original tii (my opinion)

6780296635_13fa58faa3_b.jpg

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

Thanks for the replies everyone.

oz_tom i was hopeing that you would chime in, ive seen your posts on various forums. I have been doing as much research as possible.

Im located in the SE

I took a Tii for a drive and have fell for it, it is in reasonable nick and has had a bit of money spent on it. The five speed is really apealing. it has a few rust areas and needs some attention in the interior.

Im planning on taking a base model for a drive this coming weekend.

The car is to be a weekender, it has to be comfortable enough to take the "boss" out to dinner but well sorted enough to handle a "spirited" drive a good fun car. i may take it down to the haunted hills as up untill recently i have been doing regular track days (1.54 at PI) but the car i had was/is to fast and big to be fun at anything aproaching legal speeds, it's harsh over bumps, heavy clutch, BIG cam, etc a car that required a lot of energy to drive and no good unless your doing ten tenths. that is not what i want to turn tthe 2002 into.

ill shoot you an email tommorow, just to the homail account in your profile?

it would be great to get a rough idea of what i can get done for what dollars as it will help me weigh up the pros and cons of differnt cars