• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Our boots have been Californicated...

TobyB

Went to fill up the tank the other day,

and lo and behold, all the stations in town

now have those big reticulated black condoms

on their filler nozzles.

Gawd, that sucks. Makes a mess, as it pours

gas all over the place, too. Eco sensitive? Not so much for me...

Definitely not ribbed for MY enjoyment!

Done bitching now.

Merry New Year!

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Those are becoming more common place in the Portland area. When I tell the attendant that I need to pump my own gas because it is tricky and makes a mess if not done just right, sometimes they take offense. Its worse when I still end up spilling gas.

A few weeks ago, after spilling gas, the guy working there said how he gets paid to pump gas and knows what he is doing. I then let him try and chuckled inside as gas poured onto the ground. He didn't find it funny when I said I wasn't paying for the gas on the ground.

I frequent a little station right near my place where the guy that owns it drives an E9 and has a few E30s each with a motor swap. This is the only place that I let pump my gas. They have older pumps and they've never spilled a drop. Its Bill's Old Fashioned Service in Lake Oswego for anyone who cares.

Tristan

1971 - Turkis

2002 Tune-up Parts

Lewis Fabrication Link

A few weeks ago, after spilling gas, the guy working there said how he gets paid to pump gas and knows what he is doing. I then let him try and chuckled inside as gas poured onto the ground. He didn't find it funny when I said I wasn't paying for the gas on the ground.

thanks for the laugh!

so far my experience with pumps in the hampton roads area of virginia have been no problem. hopefully we don't get those nozzles anytime soon

Does anyone know why the gas splashes back up? Maybe it needs some kind of shield in the tank to keep it from splashing back.

Interestingly. My company car has the new easyfuel no-cap system. I wonder if this could be adapted..

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/retail/Easy%20Fuel.pdf

1968 BMW 1600 US VIN 1560713

manufactured on October 2nd, 1967

http://mybmw1600-2.blogspot.com/

it's all about the angle of the dangle- if the nozzle points at the tank, it's

good, but if it points back at the rubber bit, it gets messy.

And on the early cars, the rubber bootie doesn't let you tilt

the nozzle down enough to shoot the gas down. So it gets back

up into the bootie and makes the pump poo itself.

Methinks I should go work on the electric version, eh?

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I can tell pretty closely, after driving my ' 75 daily for the past 29 years, how many gallons I need from the gas guage. That's what I put in, rarely trying to get it completely full. But we don't have those funky nozzle do-hickies down here, so, if I want, I can just keep adding the small amounts untill it's full up to the top. Easy to visually confirm here in Arizona.

Bob Napier

Yeah - I even tried some deal that was meant for motorcycles. Can't remember what it's called. It's a big yellow collar. I traded it to Blunt for a t-shirt from V@V.

I think it worked OK for him. Again - he doesn't have the external filler anymore though. Maybe he gets dual use out of it, between the bike and the 02?

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

I had the same experience the other day at the downtown Seattle Costco; spilled gas all over newly repainted tii. Finally got the handle positioned just so...and stopped spilling. Day later, while up in Lynnwood, filled another car at Costco up there...and those pumps didn't have offending vapor lock caps. Asked the attendent if he knew why there was a difference...King county requirement vs. Snohomish, perhaps? He had no clue. Pain in the ass, but I'll do what I can to head that way when I need a fill up. Anybody in Seattle have another, closer, option?

'73 tii VIN 2764196, born 6/18/1973

'76 24 Hours of Lemons racer (Team Hurling Moss)

'75 911S

'72 VW Panel Bus

Couple of daily drivers