• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MAY turbo kit imported by Hoffman in the US?

CAM

I read through your pdf, there is an addenda at the end...

ADDENDA

Disregard the flash on the front page entitled "Good News from Hoffman". Arrecent letter to all BMW dealers states that the Turbo-May unit will neither be stocked by BM dealers^ nor is it recommended for installation by reaSon of the fact that it does not meet smog requirements* 0h; well, how about a Tii?

• 13 years later...
13 minutes ago, uai said:

Here's the rare bird

Very unusual design.  Blow-through the single barrel Solex carb air cleaner and the exhaust collector for the Turbo bolts directly to the downpipe.

Mark92131

• Like 2

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

yeah, blowing through the air cleaner's a new one on me, too.

TUV approval requirement, maybe?

There was lots of this... innovation... back when people were pulling turbos

off diesel tractors and sticking them on gas cars.  It didn't do anything for the reputation of

turbocharging.

Once EFI became possible (technically in the late 60's, but practically speaking, in the 90's)

then the turbo came into its own.  The 80's production turbo cars were 'works in progress'

(I have an 86 Saab) that could deliver, but development was... ongoing.

From the people who were doing it with carbs, blow through never worked.  Carbs aren't designed

to go above atmospheric, and if you do, the whole thing has to go above atmospheric, or it can't meter.

So there were some boxed carbs which did, I guess, sorta, work.  Hell to work on, though, I imagine.

But all the sane people went to draw- through and lived with the emulsion problems.  

Of course, on a diesel turbo, this meant fuel got into the turbo bearings, so new turbos with better seals 

came along.

I do like the CNC badge added to make it a 'kit'.

And using the stock downpipe wasn't unique, either- in the 90's, there were rear- bumper mounted

turbo kits that apparently worked.  I can imagine that lag was measured with a sundial.

If you want a bit of history, have at it.

If you want a turbo 2002, leave this artifact to a history buff.

t

Edited by TobyB
  • Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

28 minutes ago, TobyB said:

yeah, blowing through the air cleaner's a new one on me, too.

Just the Air cleaner case that had a welded structure inside. 
Rolls Royce and Bentley used dry carbureted Turbos too - if they they run - if not it's a pain

Edited by uai

1 hour ago, TobyB said:

The 80's production turbo cars were 'works in progress'

My 86 GLHS would beg to differ… Fastest 4-door in America that year. But yeah, turbos got way better by the 90s.

1 hour ago, TobyB said:

So there were some boxed carbs which did

Lotus’s Turbo was a good example. IIRC, blow-thru superchargers were also tried. The Weber DCOE even had a blow-thru rebuild kit (and yep, the external air-pressure orifice on the carb body had to be enclosed along with the carb inlets).

1 hour ago, TobyB said:

If you want a turbo 2002, leave this artifact to a history buff.

Agreed. ;)

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com