• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need latest feedback on rear disk kits, please

Retrogroucher

Thanks for any insights. I've had good experiences with Lee, Dave V. and Jeff I. over the years. I'm going to get something smaller for the rear rather than Lee's kit (which will be up front).

IE and Aardvarc offer a parking brake version (looks like solid rotor from pics) and IE also has a version with a vented rotor and aluminum caliper (and no parking brake).

Do any of these kits still require removing caliper to bleed?

Any comments on difficulty of sourcing replacement rotors, variety of pad choices, etc. Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

mike

74 '02- M2 under construction by SnailPace Restoration, Inc.

88 M3 unmodified when retired from track

97 332is CrewCab (M3/4/5 )

99 MCoupe-- track rat

Jason, I read about your thought process and final creation during my searches and was impressed. I'm not worthy-- I'll just go ahead and remove the caliper 4x per year to bleed! Really, great job by you.

The rear brake picture (below) from IE's site looks like the bleed screw is pointing north...kinda.

This is different than before, see John's car in 3rd post:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,316454/highlight,rear+disk+brakes/

I'll ask Jeff if this is something new.

post-15886-13667634374114_thumb.jpg

99 MCoupe-- track rat

Jason, I read about your thought process and final creation during my searches and was impressed. I'm not worthy-- I'll just go ahead and remove the caliper 4x per year to bleed! Really, great job by you.

The rear brake picture (below) from IE's site looks like the bleed screw is pointing north...kinda.

This is different than before, see John's car in 3rd post:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,316454/highlight,rear+disk+brakes/

I'll ask Jeff if this is something new.

The set up is Todd21's baby. I can't take the credit. The concept is to have a caliper in a stock-ish position similar to the front, correct the bleeder positioning, and have an e-brake. Done and done.

As far as stopping power, it's been a performer for my driving style. That's all I know. I love it.

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

Here is what I did. I used an extra braided line so I could unbolt the caliper and rotate the caliper (still on the disc) to a position so it can be bleed. Here is a pic of my parking brake shim/sleeve. Mine is the Ireland kit.

John

IMG_0362.jpg

IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_0361.jpg

IMG_0359.jpg

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

I had IE rear brake with what I think was a volkswagen caliper and just replaced it with their Wilwood setup. It should be easy to bleed and seems like a more well thought out design than their old rear kit. It seems like it would be a good complement to Lee's front kit.

1973 Verona 2002 2.5 L s14

1998 M3

Thanks to everyone.

Lee is here: http://www.massivebrakes.com/home/

FYI, I emailed Jeff and the IE kits don't require removal of caliper to bleed. I don't think Aardvarc does either. The IE brake components (caliper/rotor) are VW on their non- Wilwood kits, so rotors and pads should be easy to source.

99 MCoupe-- track rat