• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

help with desmogging

mikea

the wiring harness for all the relays and vacuum switches located on the firewall is separate from the car's main wiring harness, and can be unplugged at a single point and removed, along with the relays and switches. Makes for a neat job.

Euro cars didn't have all that junk, so it makes sense that the factory would have made the USA only pieces to plug into the existing main harness, which then could be used for both Euro and US cars.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I literally just put this on my blog page last night..

Copied:

This was too easy.. Just find the big blue harness on the back of the engine compartment, start at the positive side of the coil and work backwards to the bottom of the fuse box. Then plug a new 16 gage wire into the now open slot on the 12th fuse and string it over to the positive side of the coil.

Before:

dc93bca4.jpg

During:

cfaa26b0.jpg

104a52a6.jpg

After:

077bfee7.jpg

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

This is on my to do list also. Dumb question, is there an easy way to access the #12 fuse from the back/bottom? Do you have to remove the front wheel and access it go through the fenderwell?

Mike

76 Malaga (Molly)

Mike

76 Malaga (Molly)

Mods:

Weber

Recaro

Eibach

Bilstein

Panasport

Ansi

Parker

Ireland Eng.

'72 Tii Project

remove 1 screw from the top of the fuse block, and it lifts up & out so you can access the back/bottom of it.

there's a hole inside the engine bay that allows wires to run to the bottom of the fuse block. So you can easily run new wire to it.

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

• 4 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Your smog harness may have the resistor wire for the coil.  Mine did.  Fortunately, I have a high-impedance coil and did not need the resistor wire.

If you need the resistor wire in series with the coil, then make sure you harvest it from the harness and connect appropriately (refer to the wiring diagram).

Edited by Healey3000