• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M2 madness

M3M3

I started the tii with just the manifold and downpipe attached after I put the top end of the motor and the rebuilt FI back on. Man it was loud!

Cheers,

Ray

LOL... with the open header it has now...you probably could hear it!

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Looking great sir! Thanks for the diversion during the conference. Hopefully she'll be running next time we're in town.

"Sabine" 1976 Polaris / Navy - 12+ year Inop Ebay Find. Now with Microsquirt and Cold A/C. 

light night. had fun sorting through this

DSCN4894.jpg

to find hose parts to make the start of the crankcase breather line. it will route along fire wall and down PS strut tower to catch bottle.

DSCN4893.jpg

then put the center bearing heat plate on since the turbo muffler ends up very close.

DSCN4895.jpg

2xM3

Quick project tonight. Needed a crankcase breather since I deleted the stock system. Picked up $35 Moroso breather bottle tonight, along with 4 ft of 1/2in heater hose.

As much as it appears otherwise, I really don’t like to drill more holes in my car…so I decided to reuse the threaded holes where the coil was mounted.

DSCN4896.jpg

Made up another little bracket out of aluminum bar stock that uses those bolts.

DSCN4897.jpg

And mounted bottle using 3.5in hose clamp. Will add a second clamp for security, but it is pretty solid. Ran the 1/2in hose from the “u” I made at the crankcase to the -6an fitting on the side of the bottle. Done!

DSCN4898.jpg

DSCN4899.jpg

2xM3

I mounted a coil facing upwards once.

It took a while to figure out why the car stopped running when it rained!

;-)

Cheers,

Ray

Ray

;-)

Cheers,

Ray

Is that why the coils on Air cooled VW's are facing down?? Didn't know they were such a water trap.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

;-)

Cheers,

Ray

Darn those pesky di-electrics! IDK what Marshall has, but epoxy-filled and oil-filled coils all but eliminate the water nuisance.

J Swift
Global Formula Racing (Oregon State University)

1972 Opel GT "Mae"

The aluminum ones do.....plastic ones do not have the baffling.

Interesting on the coil orientation....have not had an issue with that before.....but easy enough to twist it off vertical if needed.

2xM3

This was an Accell coil. I think that moisture was seeping it at the high tension lead boot. Er, a few years ago on my R/T Challenger.

;-)

Ray

;-)

Cheers,

Ray

Darn those pesky di-electrics! IDK what Marshall has, but epoxy-filled and oil-filled coils all but eliminate the water nuisance.

Ray

Overcame some obstacles with the tranny hitting rear brake line, muffler hangers and drieshaft alignment today and got lots done.

Jim G made his weekend stop here after dropping his wife off a her new store. That extra pair of hands makes things so much easier.

First we moved the rear brake line from above the tranny to down the left side of the tranny to keep it from getting crushed due to the trans being up as high as it could be. We then modified the center bearing mounting holes to let it sit a little bit more to the left. Guibo and U-joint much happier now.

Next up was the exhaust. The union between the y-pipe and the resonator was a problem. The flare on the Ardvaark y-pipe is too small to allow the use of a stock turbo seal ring. Tried several smaller sizes from the autoparts store with no good solution. Ended up pulling the old one out of the dead parts bin, cleaning it up a bit and using it. Not optimal. Wish that y-pipe flare was the same size as the turbo resonator, then the stock seal ring would work. I have two new “extra” turbo exhaust seals now..

DSCN4903.jpg

Moving farther back, we hung the muffler, lined it up and figured out a plan for aligning some new hangers since the turbo muffler is designed for the early hanger locations and I have a later car.

Front hanger accommodated by bolting a plate to the back of the diff mount and bolting the hanger to it. Slotting the bolt holes allowed some wiggle room for final alignment.

DSCN4902.jpg

Rear hanger was accommodated by welding the hanger to some bar stock and bolting it to the trunk floor behind the gas tank. We bolted everything up and fit well, then took it all apart so I could paint the hangers. Pic’s tomorrow when paint dries and muffler gets installed.

Next up..the airfilter. RU-2800 K&N fit fine. Used 7in of the hose that came with it to push forward into the grill and out of the engine compt. When I ordered the filter, I also got a “raincoat” for it since it was in exposed location. It is called a “dryguard” and supposedly cuts down on the water getting into the intake. Will take it off for track use. Even the left horn fit back in its original location!

DSCN4900.jpg

DSCN4901.jpg

I order to calm the concern about water in the coil, I dredged up a cap off an old wire set. Am I ok now Ray? ;-)

DSCN4904.jpg

Then I had to finish the ECU compartment in the Pass footwell

Everything mounted

DSCN4905.jpg

In place

DSCN4906.jpg

ECU? What ECU?

DSCN4907.jpg

Tomorrow..

Install muffler

Fill with oil and coolant

Initialize the AN computer

Cross fingers

Turn ingnition key…..

2xM3

You worked that interior plate back into place quick! I bet it took me longer to fetch Susan due to the traffic than it took you to mount the components to the plate.

Got gasoline?

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"