• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M2 madness

M3M3

Speaking of Follies, I seem to have misplaced the slip of paper on which I wrote down the name of your ride height adjusters. This must be the 150000th time I asked you, but what was the make and brand? Also, great seeing your car in person, for anyone whose been wondering, the ride is just as awesome as it looks!

Daniel Shor

Bethesda, MD

'74 2002 "Charlotte"

Half as old as my first car and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Marshall,

Thanks for the last minute ride Sunday morning, the car is a hoot, as aniticipated!

... I need to send my a/n back to Maxx for the closed loop wb retrofit...

Are you demonstrating airflow here? ;-)

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn251/jgerock/Vintage%202011%20Trip/Vintage%202011%20Event%20and%20drive/DSC_0470.jpg

Let me know if you're ever near my '02; I'm more than happy to further contribute to scope creep!

Cheers,

Ray

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

glad you made it over!

i can't get to pbucket from work, but if that is the picture of me and doug by my car, i am embarrassed that i look like an aviator demonstrating how to shoot down my wristwatch!

closed loop is great. the log files record what correction factor the loop is using so you can go back and alter the map after the fact.

2xM3

Marshall,

Aviators do not shoot down wristwatches....

Earl

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

AF = systems monitors , Army = aviators ;)

Earl

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

so several folks at Vintage kindly told me my tail lights were really dim. next project...fix that. took them apart today. neither one was shiny inside. both were painted a flat silver. left one massively melted from too big a bulb at some point. lenses cloudy. no wonder they were dim.

DSCN4972.jpg

i have a few spares, so i sorted through them to find the best, then cleaned'em up to see what i could salvage.

DSCN4974.jpg

found good right side parts, but will be ordering some new left side parts.

2xM3

Today was alignment suspension adjustment day.

Started off with front toe check. Even after completely disassembling the front end with the engine swap, car still had perfect zero toe. Cool.

Then worked on the camber. Ended up with -2.7 on RF, -2.9 on LF, -2.7 on LR, -2.5 on RR. Would have liked a touch more on right side of car, but that was all there was without doing some more work on the towers. Another day perhaps!

Then on to the corner balance.

DSCN4975.jpg

Car was set up in “track” state. Full tank of gas, no spare, no extra tools, and just me in the drivers seat.

Some tweaking of the LR and RF adjusters yielded cross weight within .5% of 50/50. Cool.

Of note is the difference between the weight of an M2 and a 2002. I weighed the car in the same state as when I corner balanced the car with an M10 last year. (keep in mind this is a heavier square tail)

See this thread

DSCN4975.jpg

note - thought of a few other differences. light battery (-15lbs), lighter strut bar (-5lbs), light flywheel (-15lbs)...that puts the S14 another 35lbs up.

M2 – 2452lbs

2002 - 2338lbs

That makes an S14 conversion about 115lbs heavier. (using a CF airbox to save about 25lbs)

2xM3

That makes an S14 conversion about 115lbs heavier. (using a CF airbox to save about 25lbs)

This is why I am a big fan of moving the engine/tranny rearward. ;-) I don't how much weight is transfered but I know it works. I moved the engine by 3/8" on my e30 Hartge and the front wheel gap noticeably increased.

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

this project not as sexy as engine swaps, but i feel better with functioning tail lights!

box-o-stuff from blunt arrived today. some very expensive plastic!

DSCN4991.jpg

got all the new gaskets, reflectors, lenses, and bulbs in.

DSCN4993.jpg

DSCN4994.jpg

much better!

now i have this box-o-spares!

DSCN4995.jpg

no more m2 work till next week. LeMons coming up!

2xM3

Is that a parachute bag on the rear bumper (like dragsters run)?

That was my first reaction...

New lights should be MUCH better. The difference at Vintage between your old lights and Frank Greppo's all-new lights was really dramatic.

BMWCCA #2762
72 2002/71 2002ti, 67 2000CS, 2x 72 3.0CS
86 635, 2x 05 330Ci ZHP, 
'11 Corvette Grand Sport

• 2 weeks later...

Got to drive the beast this past weekend helping JimG check out a car for sale. OMG is this thing fun…..

Got back onto the work punch list tonight…

Needed to replace the short emergency bolt holding the alternator on from the vintage trip. Off came the airbox, again, for eaiser access. Replaced he 30mm bolt with 35mm one covered in locktite.

DSCN5010.jpg

DSCN5008.jpg

While I was in there….adjusted the steering box a quarter turn. Much better.

Then got to the Massive GAZ pedal install.

First had to reshape my “nubs”. Mine were worn off too small a long time ago. I used “quick steel” to build them back up to ball shape. Has worked well for two years.

DSCN5006.jpg

The Gaz pedal openings were a little different, so I sanded off some of the quick steel and added more. Left nub already sanded, right nub hardening in the pic.

DSCN5004.jpg

After hardening, filed/sanded the nubs to the correct size and spacing for the gaz pedal mount.

DSCN5012.jpg

DSCN5011.jpg

Test mounted it up

DSCN5013.jpg

Still an issue or two I have to work out with the pedal fit.

2xM3