• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Car Jack/lift Suggestions

if you like the jack you have, just cut a couple of short pieces of 2x12 and drive up on them.  provides just enough clearance to get jack under.

well, except on my car.  i have to use two pieces of 2x12 due to low car and drop sway bar.

2xM3

I really like my AC HYdraulics jack.  It is tough and dependable, and has a low profile that fits under lowered cars.  I have the high-lift DK13HLQ version.  I figure if I can't have a two-post lift, then this jack is the second best thing.  However, I bought mine years ago, and I see they have gone up quite a bit in price.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/catalog/shopcart/TOOL/POR_TOOL_ACHyd1_pg1.htm

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

Ian, that is a super nice jack....and lifts to 29". I thought my old Weaver was doing good at 24".

1995 Toyota Landcruiser

1975 2002A

1989 Dodge Raider (sold)

1974 Toyota Landcruiser (very sadly sold)

1994 BMW 530i (sold)

1992 BMW 325i (sold)

1970 2002 auto sunroof (sold)

The most expensive HF aluminum jack has worked pretty well for me for a decade...

the cheap ones are well- equipped to kill you.

I'd say buy a good quality one, but they're hard to find, and the expensive ones

can just as easily be from the same source as HF.

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I'm planning to get one of these soon, since my garage has a low 8' ceiling and you need 9' for standard lifts.  They're portable and give you a 4' clearance to work seated at least.  I have 3 bimmers to wrench on now so its time to get serious!  maxjaxusa.com

post-33409-0-97825600-1367538457_thumb.j

Jeff
1975 Alfa Romeo GT1300Junior w/1600 transplant (I'm still stuck on 1600's LOL)
2006 M3 White/Red - Orig Owner,6spd,ZCP, sunroof delete
SOLD 1967 1600 #1517644 "Florida"/Brown w/sunroof, SOLD 1968 1600 #1564660, RIP 1970 1600

Plus, with Costco you can ALWAYS return it.  Even after years have gone by.  Their return policy is amazing.  I believe Costco is pretty good about selling quality stuff.  I bought mine there and it is pretty solid.  I forget the brand.  Good luck.

BTW, speaking of jacking.

Gentlemen, is there a "schematic" available to show us cowards where to place the floor jack to lift it and where to position the jack stands?  You would be frightened by the number of ED admissions due to "under the car and the car fell on me."