• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hopefully you've heard it run (or buying a running car is part of the agreement). Anyway, if not...

1. Check with seller...was the oil changed before it was put in storage? If it's fresh oil, it's probably OK. Same with coolant.

2. Was any Stabil put in the gas tank? Or at least was the tank filled before storing?

3. Disconnect the coil wire at the coil, then turn the engine over with the starter until the oil warning light goes out. It goes out at only 7.5 psi, so I'd continue to crank for four or five seconds after it goes out. That will also pull some gas into the carb.

4. Reconnect the coil wire and try starting the car. Be prepared to shut down immediately if the oil light doesn't go out this time.

Unless you know that all the fluids were changed just before the car was stored, I'd change 'em: oil, coolant, tranny oil, diff oil. And fresh brake fluid.

My '02s generally sit for four or five months at a time over the winter. I don't do anything special to them, and they always start right up come springtime.

Cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

The PO dropped off the car last night. Body is straight except for a small dent on the left front fender, and small dent on driver's door. Some minor surface rust on roof rails and trim, but only hole is passenger side floor. Frame rails, sills, rear shock towers perfect. Glass intact. Car is dark red with later 3 series 14" rims. Everything under hood present. Car has downdraft Weber and tube header. Inpsection sticker is 2003. Car may have been sleeping longer than we thought. Motor LOOKs good. We need to know:

favorite brand and weight of oil

other favorite fluids

favorite 14" tyres

Any other helpful hints

This is my little 19 year old girl's first car, and our first BMW (not counting Uncle John's 1600 he left with us when I was a kid and he was sent to New Guinea)

We need to know:

favorite brand and weight of oil

other favorite fluids

favorite 14" tyres

Any other helpful hints

This is my little 19 year old girl's first car, and our first BMW (not counting Uncle John's 1600 he left with us when I was a kid and he was sent to New Guinea)

Oil - Castrol GTX 20/50 non synth

Other fluids - RED LINE

14 inch tyres - Sumitomos are inexpensive and sporty. What kind of weather do you have to contend with? Kumho KR21s are some of the best budget all-season tires on the market! They ride well, handle well and are great in the rain.

Tirerack.com could help you make a tire choice, also. Just type in the size and they'll find you all the tires that match the specs you want.

Hints: BRAKES FIRST. I'd make sure they are in tip-top shape before anything else happens with the car. Hope this helps!

Matthew

Chastity: the most unnatural of sexual perversions.

74 tii, 99 BMW R1100R, 99 E320, 01 S4 Avant

Haha I didn't know my dad would get one here. He got all ambitious and worked on my '02 while I was at work. Got the engine started with a lil (ok a lot of starter fluid).

Thank you soo much! Y'all are so helpful. I've been reading my "Weber Carburetors" book all day.

We're in Houston so the weather we have to deal with is very hot and humid.