• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

driver's floor repair panel source?

ceylove

while the motor and trans are out of the car, I took a deep breath and removed my driver's carpet and sound deadening pads. The seller installed a new carpet kit before I took delivery, and with everything glued down I hadn't wanted to pull it all up. From under the car, however, it looked pretty bad.

The entire driver's floor from beginning of seat rails North to the accelerator pedal attachment point is rusty, some places all the way through. The photo doesn't look too bad, but there's a 6 inch tear and it's so thin you can push your finger through. Mobile tradition tells me BMW never made repair panels for this. I found one at Jamic UK for 78 Bp or $120 + shipping. My first thought was to just use sheet steel but it's actually got quite a lot of contours, depressions and curves up all around. Cutting one out of a parts car led me to the common response of, "if I had good floors, it wouldn't be a parts car" which makes sense. Any of you know another source other than Jamic and spending $120? 2002Ad quoted me about $200 for one they have made up, but it takes a couple of weeks and my motor's ready to go in. Thanks

post-16993-13667622902694_thumb.png

post-16993-13667622903373_thumb.jpg

Ceylon-squarie

Guest Anonymous

to avoid conflict I'm writing this as anonomous - but I went down to the thrift store and bought a cookie sheet for a dollar - and that's the cost of a good one - caulked and screwed it in place - probably works as good as anything -- just saying - oh -- there are some smart asses on this board who might be flippant - just don't tell them -- lol

...bought a cookie sheet for a dollar - and that's the cost of a good one - caulked and screwed it in place - probably works as good as anything

No need to be shy & anonomous.

You can post your name so we can say hi and know who not to buy a car from.

I think Ceylove is doing a different type of resto than you did. I hope you paid for the teflon one.

to avoid conflict I'm writing this as anonomous - but I went down to the thrift store and bought a cookie sheet for a dollar - and that's the cost of a good one - caulked and screwed it in place - probably works as good as anything -- just saying - oh -- there are some smart asses on this board who might be flippant - just don't tell them -- lol

Then 1 winter later you can pull up your carpet and do it all over again with a bigger rust affected area.

-John

76 Verona 2002

74 Sahara 2002

Thanks all! I appreciate all the comments, even the anonymous one! I'm surprised at the options and especially the sale prices sent to me. Being as it's a mostly rust free car, So CAL style, dry, except for the driver's floor. I never plan on selling my projects and eventually always do so-call it pride, vanity or whatever, if seller looked under the carpet or under the car, which I hope they would, I want it to look right. We were going to start with a cookie sheet piece of flat steel and form it close as we could before I came upon fairly good repro pieces anyway. Again, thanks for all the input-I'll follow up with pics of the competed patch!

Ceylon-squarie

With the current exchange rate, Walloth & Nesch have front floor panels at $121 each and rears at $131. These prices include German VAT which is, I believe 19%........they will deduct this for overseas Buyers. Then you have the shipping cost to add.

It's worth emailing W & N as they will quote you a price to your front door, and very quickly.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17