• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modify Euro Turn Signals..??

02for2

I read a thread here in the past two weeks and someone referred to a modification necessary for European Turn Signals.

I just received a pair of NOS turn signals from Germany. I noticed that it uses a different mount for the wiring. My curent US signals have two mounting posts for the two wires coming from the fender, a + and a -, these are screws posts where the wire is inserted and them screwed to clamp them to the post.

The Euro signals I got have only a single wire mount, a mount which uses a spring latch to capture/hold the wire (+ wire I presume and chassis ground?). Is it this difference which necessitates the modification?

I have searched for more than an hour, but cannot find anything regarding a mod for Euro signals. Does anyone have a DIY for this mod or a link to the thread which discusses it? TIA!

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

so they'll have the extra bulb/filament for US parking lights. The archives have a bunch of postings on the subject. Three basic methods:

1. Use a "tap a light"--bulb and socket that you can get at a U-haul trailer rental place.

2. Buy a small bulb with socket at the auto parts store and install in the bar that runs from front to back inside the lens and holds the existing bulb socket.

3. Drill out the hollow rivets that hold the bar to the lens rim and install the bar from a US turn signal that has the proper two filament bulb socket already in place (what I did some years ago.)

Details in the archives.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

you gotta modify the us signals to get the euros to fit?

huh? You take the US signals off and put the euro's on. Euro signals were not designed to have a parking lamp, just turn/flash signal. They are single conductor bulb sockets, so you have to either add a 2nd small bulb socket for the parking lamp, or change the stock euro socket from a 1 conductor to a 2 conductor. Adding the 2nd, smaller lamp socket is the easiest way, and less damaging.

check the suggested link:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com//index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=57&page=viewtopic&t=268960&highlight=bulb+modification&&sid=d3663f79bd06804833ed8d978e580cfb

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg