• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ramps? Good idea or not?

norma

Most of you guys probably use jackstands like I do but they're a pain sometimes. I have trouble (even with wooden blocks) to get them up high enough to work comfortably and I'm always aware of the danger. Anybody ever looked into those ramps I see sometimes? They would be a lot easier. Too expensive? Where's a good source for them?

No, I'd like some suggestions for suppliers for them. I'm more interested to know if they're worth it or not. Thanks.

I've seen these:

http://www.ogracing.com/catalog/4-Garage/272-Race-Ramps

I think they are over priced. I use the everyday ramps because I cant get a floor jack under my car. Once I have the car on ramps, I can then lift it higher if needed.

Guest Anonymous

I have had a set of ramps from raceramps.com for about two years and use them regularly for raising both the '02 and the E46 enough for changing lubricants. They make the whole process much more convenient, and safer. Granted the car is not level for complete oil draining, but I like these ramps a lot and would buy them again.

Roger

'72 Malaga

RBenson685@aol.com

I have used ramps, but find that jackstands are easier and safer!

You can also raise the car much higher on stands.

Ramps are OK for front end, but not so much for the rear.

There are good ramps and cheap ramps. I've seen cheap ramps (often sourced from China) actually deform.

I found that most of what I was raising the car for required ramps anyway, so I gave mine away years ago and haven't missed them a bit.

If using stands, you have to have the whole package - a quality jack which is easy to use. I have also modified the saddle on the stands by having a flat piece welded to the top w/ a center hole. To this I took 4 Hockey Pucks and center-drilled countersunk holes in them so I could bolt them to the top plates of the stands. This way, there's no fiddling w/ 2x4 bits. It cost me $20 to do the mod.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

I've had a set of Rhino ramps for years and love them. Unlike the metal style, they are mostly flat on top so that a wide tire fits nicely. My buddy uses 2 sets of Rhino ramps at the same time - 1 for the front and 1 for the rear. Drives up all 4 tires onto them so that his vehicle sits level and "all the oil drains out"

'76 02 (Pastellblau - my 1st car - owned since 1992)
'04 330i zhp (Monaco Blue)

'07 328i 6spd (Titanium Silver)

'11 X3 (Alpine White)

stepfather when he quit working on cars - use 'em all the time for basic maintenance jobs. It's far faster and easier to run the front wheels up on the ramps to do oil & filter and belt changes (and other minor jobs) than to run the front wheels up on a board to raise the car far enough to get a jack under it, then jack it up, place jack stands, and remove the jack.

My driveway slopes down toward the street, so if the front of the car is pointed downhill, it winds up level on the ramps (and yes, I always leave it in gear and block the rear wheels as well).

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

I love my ramps for quick jobs and feel much safer than putting it up on stands. If you have a low profile car (like my M3 or a lowered 2002), get the ramps with extensions. Mine are from Griot's Garage and are very well made for about $80 as I recall.

Jeff
1975 Alfa Romeo GT1300Junior w/1600 transplant (I'm still stuck on 1600's LOL)
2006 M3 White/Red - Orig Owner,6spd,ZCP, sunroof delete
SOLD 1967 1600 #1517644 "Florida"/Brown w/sunroof, SOLD 1968 1600 #1564660, RIP 1970 1600

I have a whole variety of lifting and jacking solutions, including three floor jacks (the biggest of which is a long-reach low-rise jack), and a mid-rise scissors lift. And, with all that, there are times when the best, fastest thing is to drive the front wheels up onto the Rhino Ramps. They work just fine for things like oil changes. Obviously to do the brakes you have to pull the wheels off, and for that you need a floor jack and stands.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

I bought a set of steel ones from a neighbor got $10 bucks. They come in handy for quick stuff! There even strong enough to hold up the 3/4ton Chevy pickup!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2