• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Second Car Dilemma

Colin

What do you think?

Corrado G60

Corrado SLC VR6

1991 318is (m42)

mk1 GTI

Current (and only) ride is a 74 02 that has been megasquirted.

if you get the 318is, i predict you will very quickly get over your '02. does the gf like driving it?

She hasn't driven the 02 much but will be in the very near future. Driving a manual gearbox is new to her.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Without question, do not buy a Porsche. If you do, the only time you'll ever drive the 2002 is when the P-car is in the shop, which isn't too often if you get a 1995-98.

In all seriousness, if you want the '02 to remain the daily driver and just need something to fill in the gaps, get an older Volvo or something. Who cares, if it is just a gap filler. But if you get a sports car or something like that (i.e, the Corrado), it might start taking over as the daily driver. And you'll be sorry. And happy. Both at the same time.

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '92 M5T (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/

Without question, do not buy a Porsche. If you do, the only time you'll ever drive the 2002 is when the P-car is in the shop, which isn't too often if you get a 1995-98.

In all seriousness, if you want the '02 to remain the daily driver and just need something to fill in the gaps, get an older Volvo or something. Who cares, if it is just a gap filler. But if you get a sports car or something like that (i.e, the Corrado), it might start taking over as the daily driver. And you'll be sorry. And happy. Both at the same time.

Great post!

I actually have long wanted a volvo...an older one especially... like an amazon... with a modern turboed motor stuffed in there...

to help the process

That's the kind of thing I am looking for. I'm still leaning towards the MK1, and she is, too. A 190e cossie was on my list, too, but that quickly got ruled out due to the size.

I guess the biggest bummer with the mk1 is that I can't really do much in terms of the engine with all the smog restrictions in CA. Sucks...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4661283

Take a look at this link most are CA cars legally registered, and A1 chassis cars. Most VW 4 cylinder engines fit right in a MK1 GTI, some more obvious than others. As long as all smog stuff is moved as well I believe you are OK, But you could always post up any questions for CA folks here http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=13 they are always eager to help, just mention Scirocco somewhere in the post to keep (Paul) the moderator happy, I linked to that forum because the MK1 forum isn't always as helpful.

Or a 1st generation Scirocco (1977+)?

They can be tough to find as people tend to horde the good ones.

PICT2585.jpg

PICT2609.jpg

A GTI would most likely be easier to get trim and body parts for as so many more were produced, but as far as mechanical bits they are nearly identical.

Most Scirocco specific parts are NLA. I'm still amazed at how many 02 parts are still available new, you will never get that kind of support from VW.

Or a 1st generation Scirocco (1977+)?

They can be tough to find as people tend to horde the good ones.

PICT2585.jpg

PICT2609.jpg

A GTI would most likely be easier to get trim and body parts for as so many more were produced, but as far as mechanical bits they are nearly identical.

Most Scirocco specific parts are NLA. I'm still amazed at how many 02 parts are still available new, you will never get that kind of support from VW.

I'd love to take a closer look at your Scirocco's! NICE collection. I wrenched on some in the late '80's and really liked how they drove. Did you see the Hemmings S&E Restoration profile on the 1979 Euro Mk1 GTI? Beautiful!

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Unfortunately they are not all mine, but if you ever make it out this way a visit could be arranged (perhaps even some spirited driving). They, like 02s like to be driven, but only in good weather.

There will be another joining these in April, an 80 rag top from WA.

RWD > FWD

i am very very happy with my 91 325i. has 175k on it (32k of it mine since i bought it 14 months ago), and I love it. The only things that have gone wrong with it are the fuel gauge now has become self-aware and is plotting against me, the temp gauge developed an iffy ground (randomly starts reading high, but a good "Fonz" slap on the dash brings it back into line. this is an easy fix but I just havent felt compelled to pull the cluster.) the right rear window is also a little slow going up and down (electric), and it leaks like a 20-year old BMW, which it is. (standard BMW time-release undercoating.)

also, it developed a nice hole in the muffler where the hanger used to be welded to it, but I kind of like this development. sounds very angry running up to redline, and makes it very difficult to shift early.

dont say no to an e30 until you drive one with an m20. only problem is they attract the baggy pants as mr. blunt calls them. i was lucky to find a very clean, unmodified (biggest mod is it has tinted windows) one and am extremely happy with it....

by the way, i am a former VW addict (my license plate on my MK1 was "VW ONLY")

yo man,

since you already have the old, fun-to-drive, sporty car, you should look into getting into a different ballpark of old and fun, cruising!

there are loads of old cool cars to cruise around in that are a different type of fun to drive.

for instance i have often dreamed of crusing with a mob of friends to santa cruz, or down south from san jose in an old school volvo amazon, or something like a 62 comet. You know, something unique, good looking, fun to work on, and fun to drive, yet isn't valuable, or sought after enough to destroy your bank account. Nothing beats crusing in style.

something like this...

http://bringatrailer.com/2009/12/30/bargain-monte-carlo-contender-1959-ford-zephyr/

or a 66 impala slumpin on daytons.....

needy and demanding 72 02 known as Madame Von Kiki

I've got a 92 8valve gti I found locally and not running for $400 bucks. I was going to flip it but it turned out to be as much fun to drive as an 02. Free revving and handles great. I took out the back seat and use it to haul stuff for work etc. Parts are cheap too.

IMG_1800.jpg

19a115b7-9760-47c1-af9f-560c2d06e095_zps6ad53ab7.jpg

73 M2 evolving project

77 Datsun 620 king cab hauler

09 XR1200

77 XS650

78 SR500

half dozen ct70s

other wheeled madness