• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Second Car Dilemma

Colin

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It all depends on what your needs are.

Yes. Some of those cars you listed are a bit too similar to the 02. I like to ideally have a spread of vehicles to cover different purposes. My 02 is the practical hauler, summer daily driver, road tripper, autocross/track car. The miata is the top-down roadster/winter car with rock solid reliability. The bikes are the true fun machines with no practicality, but awesome mileage and parking ability.

For you, do you want something more fun or more practical or more reliable, to cover other needs? Or maybe just different handling dynamics to make a different kind of fun? Maybe you need a big-ass AWD rally car, or a little sports car/roadster.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

It all depends on what your needs are.

Yes. Some of those cars you listed are a bit too similar to the 02. I like to ideally have a spread of vehicles to cover different purposes. My 02 is the practical hauler, summer daily driver, road tripper, autocross/track car. The miata is the top-down roadster/winter car with rock solid reliability. The bikes are the true fun machines with no practicality, but awesome mileage and parking ability.

For you, do you want something more fun or more practical or more reliable, to cover other needs? Or maybe just different handling dynamics to make a different kind of fun? Maybe you need a big-ass AWD rally car, or a little sports car/roadster.

Well, to be honest, I drive the 02 everyday and will continue to do so. I need a second car to fill in the gaps for when I am doing projects on the 02 and for my girlfriend. I don't really have much of a criteria, other than it being a fun car that handles well. I've always wanted a MK1 GTI every since riding in my cousin's, but it is not very modern and is quite similar to the 02 in some respects. It also seems hard to find a solid mk1. Having said all that, it'd be my first choice on that list.

I like the 318is, but my girlfriend finds it ugly and I am not sure I want a second BMW.

The Corrado is tempting because its quick and is quite modern. The downside is that its quick and quite modern. :P

In that case, I'd just see whatever you can find locally for cheap, that you'll know will be solid/reliable.

If it's cheap, then there's not much worry about making a huge commitment.

The only time I've driven a mk1 GTI was at a rallycross in a gutted track car, hahah. It was ok, but it would've been nice to have wipers, heater, dash, etc. It was surprisingly easy to get the rear end to rotate, so that was cool, but I'd still rather have RWD.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

When we bought our home, I had to let my 2002 go. I traded for a two car garage- pretty good trade, and I kept my E30M3.

Several years later I was able to get another 2002. The plan was to get the 02 all put together as a daily driver, then tear into the then 20 year old M3. Once the M3 was gone through, the plan was to switch places and do up the 02. Well...since the 02 has been running just fine, and has been lotsa fun to boot, there has been no urgency to get the M3 back out.

The whole point to this is that if you make the second car too nice or too much fun, your primary ride may take the back burner. Since your primary need is something more modern to appease the girlfriend and to give you a cushion for when your 02 is disabled, you are left with basically 2 choices. First would be a 1975 2002. It is more modern than your 1974 and also beats the hell out of the second choice : Muni.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

I like the 318is, but my girlfriend finds it ugly and I am not sure I want a second BMW.

She needs some edgamacation on what is to her, a free car.

And you always want a second BMW.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

She needs some edgamacation on what is to her, a free car.

And you always want a second BMW.

John

Well I want something that she enjoys as much as I enjoy my car and she will most likely be paying for the gas and her portion of the insurance. I will just be purchasing the car itself and then working on it. Part of the idea is to get her excited about driving, she's never owned a car and doesn't really drive now as it is.

The 318is is a tempting car, but it is also very much like the 2002, so I dunno. I am torn.

I didn't mean for my tone to sound too sarcastic.

Maybe she needs to experience "the cult". Maybe she just needs to be nicely pointed in the right way.

Kinda like getting a kid to buy an e30 versus a camero.

I still vote e30 318is. I know it's like the 2002, but that's the whole point. This will let her (or make her) have a 2002 experience without the car being 30 years old.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

Missed one, a Scrirocco 16v, either MK1 or MK2. I do like the MK1 GTi idea though, but the Scirocco support group online is incredible just like here.

I'll agree with Otto, a 16v Scrirocco would be cool! I've climbed on one a couple times trying to get parts from the car above it in a junkyard. Seem like cool rigs! Im putting a 16v in a '86 Jetta right now.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2