• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ignition Box MSD - Streetfire

Scott Sislane

Maybe this is why MSD makes the first sentance of the instructions read like this:

WARNING: During installation, disconnect the battery cables. When disconnecting the battery always remove the Negative cable first and install it last.

They should know better than to put that first, who reads the beginning of instructions.

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

• 5 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I was reading a comment on an 02 FB page last night. Conversation re pertronix failing with high voltage systems. Or systems that have the black coil and no resistor in place... so I was curious how long I have been failure free - 8 years! (knock on wood) My thought has been that most pertronix failures are due to poor or mis-wiring. But who knows.

SiteNamecopy.jpg

Not sure why people are putting the failure of their Pertronix down to MSD use. The voltage that the Pertronix sees when operating in that mode is far lower than the voltages seen across it when switching a normal coil.

If you use points to switch an MSD or other capacitor discharge ignition they can last so long (compared to normal operation) that they wear out the rubbing block on the distributor cam before the contacts fail. 

• Thanks 1

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

On 6/5/2018 at 2:10 AM, Simeon said:

Not sure why people are putting the failure of their Pertronix down to MSD use. The voltage that the Pertronix sees when operating in that mode is far lower than the voltages seen across it when switching a normal coil.

If you use points to switch an MSD or other capacitor discharge ignition they can last so long (compared to normal operation) that they wear out the rubbing block on the distributor cam before the contacts fail. 

I can attest to this, my MSD has been driven by stock BMW points since I put it in years ago.  Granted I bought a new set of points when installed though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

'76 Inca, restored to a roundie

• 1 year later...

I installed dual street fires on my 911 mfi and have found no issues after 2000 miles. Motor turns 7800 redline without any miss or hesitation. I may be replacing them for a  more factory look, but they have not disappointed.

1CFE77E7-C454-418C-974F-FB51545893EC.jpeg

• Thanks 1

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?

8 hours ago, Mike A said:

I installed dual street fires on my 911 mfi and have found no issues after 2000 miles. Motor turns 7800 redline without any miss or hesitation. I may be replacing them for a  more factory look, but they have not disappointed.

1CFE77E7-C454-418C-974F-FB51545893EC.jpeg

Nice!!

SiteNamecopy.jpg

9 hours ago, sislane said:

10 years, still runs like a top, and has out-lived the motor.

Scott — yep, rock-solid.  My own MSD 6A / Blaster 2 coil / PerTronix combo is still going strong 20+ years now. Not tracking as close as you though.. ?

• Haha 1

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

On 2/13/2020 at 10:50 PM, visionaut said:

Scott — yep, rock-solid.  My own MSD 6A / Blaster 2 coil / PerTronix combo is still going strong 20+ years now. Not tracking as close as you though.. ?

That's impressive!

SiteNamecopy.jpg