• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Defrost Help

jrhone

So my cars rear defrost never worked...is there any quick tips on how to check things and see if i can get it working? on the way home today it was just a sheet of water and mist....couldnt see a thing behind me. Is it common for these NOT to work?

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

You could use a multi meter and see if it is getting power when the switch and key are on. You could also check the resistance in the defroster coils on your rear window, that will tell you if one of the coils is broken or not. Mine works so I couldnt tell ya what are typical problems.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

If the wiring is good, you should see 11-12 volts across the two terminals on the glass. Usually the voltage is fine, and problem is that all the grid lines on the glass are scratched or disintegrated; for that the cure is a new rear glass.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators

I have heard good things about the generic repair kit working well if used properly from people who should know, I've also heard that they are a pain to use. Never tried one myself.

As far as I know finding a working rear defrost on an '02 is like seeking out hens teeth. I use the rain-x anti fog stuff and it does me okay... not the best but I'm too lazy to do the kit and live where it is warm enough to run with the windows cracked.

Achtung Lieber Himmel!

1976 Rot und Schwartz daily driver "Otto Q. Gilgamesh"

ive used both the repair kits and installed the j c whitney aftermarket on other cars. both worked fine. the repair kit was the liquid type and was fine to bridge the small scratches. installing the full grid was tricky in tight spaces but would be easy if u removed the glass first!

im installing a 'one shot' timer to auto shut off in 5 minutes. i dont like the idea of having to rely on my memory to shut it off- maybe also a discrete LED to show its on would help.

Dave in Baltim02e Maryland USA
1969 2002 Sahara  Manila  :)

1966 WM300 Dodge Power Wagon-Valley Green; 1972 Airstream Overlander; 1997 JDM Honda Prelude; 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 tow vehicle to tow home all the above junk!

I tried two or three different repair solutions. You would paint over the area that was scratched away. I never got any of them to work. The solution would dry and look okay but it would not conduct a current.

I bought the J C Whitney kit and installed it. I used a razor blade to scrape the old ridge off the windshield so the new tape would stick better. I thought a flat surface would work best. It works for a few years but the adhesive is giving way now so the tape is coming loose where the rear widow curves. I gave up. I live in the South so I don't really need it

it's common for them not to work. I have power to my terminals, so it is a break in the lines somewhere. the conductive paint kits I've seen are for little fixes here and there... haven't checked mine with a meter but I have a feeling i have lots of breaks.

I would really like to fix mine too... not for frost so much... but just the fogging that develops inside (i've tried anti-fog and I really don't like it much... smells and only works for a very short period).

I do have an idea though! I haven't tried yet... but, when I add a stereo system I'll have speakers put in the rear deck (already been drilled for 6x9's) I was going to have the installation shop build a nice looking slightly elevated, angled tray to hold the speakers and then maybe mount 2 or 3 small fans (like computer fans or the like?) in the tray as well (I've already run some wires when I installed the carpet).

I've seen the custom fiberglass enclosures they make for kick panels and such and they do a really nice job.

I THINK that could do the trick... I don't think it has to be heated air really... if so, I've seen some fairly small aux heaters with fans that might work.

Anyone have any thoughts about that idea?

Rob

1966 Mustang vert - 5.0EFI/AOD & mods

1975 '02 - the typical upgrades (my 'new' car)

with a 1973, a reasonably new car, in Minnesota in the winter the rear defogger was marginal at best. When forgetting to turn the defogger off the engine was much more difficult to start. Turn the defogger off and it started right up. I wonder if it's is a condition with some cars today, the defogger is in the on position.

Don

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007