• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering - front axle question

02Les

Finally got everything put together on my Blue project (thanks Blunt for the Centre Link).

Both Tie Rods were set to 361mm centres per BMW Blue Book. This gave me a huge toe-in. To get the toe-in set close, both Tie Rods are now at 345mm centres.

I've been staring up underneath this beast trying to see what if anything I could have done wrong to get the distances so far out.

Anyone have an idea of what I could look at, or is this just the way it's going to be?

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

If you're checking with the suspension unloaded (car raised), you'll get a distorted measurement, the geometry won't be right until the suspension is weighted.

If the car is on the ground, suggest adding 150' weight to driver side, if still no-joy, suspect something's bent on the front end.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

I've never measured- center the wheel (important for steering box function)

then point each wheel straight ahead using the tie rods.

I usually find that there are only a few (4, maybe less) threads showing

on each rod end.

The only real thing that could affect this dimesion would be bent bolts

at the inner suspension arm pivot. You're not going to compress the

center cradle or the suspension arms. You MIGHT bend the strut bottom

arm, but it's HELL for stout. I've had to heat them bright orange to

bend them intentionally...

If everything is straight and it aligns properly, don't worry about the dimension!

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Nothing is bent as far as I can tell. The Wishbones came from my Touring (same part# as sedan) with new bushes. New centre link (fixed ctr distance) and new Tie-Rods. New ball joints. Old tension rods (not bent). Eibach springs, Bilstein struts, new top strut mounts/brgs, stock sway bar with new bushings. Steering wheel was centred and both Pitman Arms looked to be in the right place (centred).

The only adjustment that can be made is the tie-rods. As noted, to get toe-in set close, both tie-rods are set to the same ctr distance (345 instead of 361).

At the 361 setting, wheels were toed in so far as to make the car difficult to push!

In a couple of weeks, I'll take the car somewhere and get the toe-in set dead on. Got to mess with the back end next.

Les

FAQ Member #17

dude for all the messing around trying to get it close, just measure a center line on the front of a tire and do the same with a spot on the back of the tire get them close. i do alignments all day and i tell you with out a machine its not worth fussing with. pay the man at the local shop 80 bucks and have it aligned with you in it and forget about it.

The blue book says 361 (+10, -15) so I figure your right at the limit. I myself have never measured either- I think your fine.

pete

Well heck, I never looked at the tolerances. Their huge. I thought it would be more like +/- 2mm.

If you set the Tie-rods at 271 the wheels would be pointed at each other!

Les

FAQ Member #17

dude for all the messing around trying to get it close, just measure a center line on the front of a tire and do the same with a spot on the back of the tire get them close. i do alignments all day and i tell you with out a machine its not worth fussing with. pay the man at the local shop 80 bucks and have it aligned with you in it and forget about it.

None of my VW's were ever professionaly aligned - I have always used the front & rear tape measure method ^^ using the center of the tread while the car was on the ground (full gas tank). Racers typically use a plate against the tires with notches cut in the outer edges for proper measurement. If the car tracks straight and the tires wear evenly, you should be OK.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"